Considering Katana Purchase

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering Katana Purchase

Hi All,

Great site has already been a wealth of info. I currently have a ducati620 monster (which will probably be totalled this week due to a car hiting it in a parking lot). I have come acrosss a great deal on a 04 katana 600. I wanted a little input on the katana.

I have never owned an inline 4, the ducati v-twin was my first bike and I loved it. What I didn't like was the expensive maintenance costs, no wind protection, and crusing rpm on highway were fairly high.
    Does anyone have any opinions on the comparison betweeen the v-twin and the inline 4?

I like the looks of the katana and what I really want is a good sports tourer with enough go to manuver when needed. I don't need to be the fastest I ride mainly on the weekends, highway riding and a mix of corners.

I am very used to being able to flick the monster on corners and want a bike maybe not quite as twitchy but still good on them with more stablility at cruising speeds.

Any inuput is appreciated

You'll get a rock solid performer and lower maintainence costs with the 04' Kat 600. If you're going to do any 2-up riding, then the 750 might be a better choice, but the 600 will suffice.

I have the stock suspension (which I adjusted to suit my size/taste), but I know there are many upgrades available.

Comment

there is a big difference between the two. Now a few of my freinds ride CBR's, Ninja"s etc but they can't ride the distance that I ride on the Kat. Maintance is easy in the Kat, parts are cheaper and ebay is full of almost anything. Now depending on the type of riding you do 600 will work or a 750 maybe better suited to you if you ride 2 up and the 750 keeps up with the 600s well.

Comment

I went from the in-line 4 to a v-4. I loved my 2005 Kat 600...but to be honest it was a little over weight and slightly under powered. It was plenty agile enough to flick through the twisties. If you have a choice, go for the 750 (eventhough I never rode a 750 Kat I would assume it has a better power to weight ratio).

There is a big difference in the way an in-line engine idles in-comparison to a V engine. IMO nothing beats the sound of a rumbling of a V. I currently have a Honda VFR800 intercepter and eventhough it is slightly heavier than the Kat it has a much better power to wieght ratio. It also has slightly better ergonomics for touring than the Kat but it still likes the twisties. If you can find a good deal you may want to look at a viffer or a Triumph Sprint ST.

Comment

do it,do it do it do it........

Comment

i owned a 90 katana 600 which i sold for 2800 with 53,000 on it and still running strong...now i own a 01 750 and i love it...i say go for it...you wont regret it
            www.gleno.net
            what doesnt kill you will only make you wiser and stronger

Comment

Re: Considering Katana Purchase

Originally posted by billy93
              ducati620 monster vs 04 katana 600.
              Torque vs Torque: They both have about the same amount of peak torque (42 lb-ft), but the Monster's arrives earlier and is a bit broader across the band. Between the naked bike aspect, the way-lower curb weight, and the earlier torque hit, it takes the acceleration game up to about 85 - 90 mph, which happens to be the speeds most people ride.

Horses vs. Horses: the Ducati has an advantage again (about 10% for the best stock 620 vs. best 98+ stock Kat), but the Kat has a better top end speed compared to the Monster because of the gearing, cam profiles, and fairing design (better through the air at triple-digit speeds). In part, this reflects the basic design differences between twins and inline-fours.

Reliability: The Katana wins hands down. Reliable electrics, bullet-proof oil-air cooled engine. The only downfall by comparison is the carbs vs. the Monster's injectors, but the Kat is still ahead in the bigger picture, especially once you factor in that there is no cam belt issues involved.

Services: Although the Kat will suffer without proper services, as long as you change the oil, it normally won't self-destruct the way many Ducati's will. Cam timing is handled by a chain and is a non-maintenance item. Carbs can be a source of issues compared to the Monster's injectors, with carbs being more likely to mess up over years, but it's far cheaper to fix a carb than to replace an injector. Valve adjustments for the Kat should happen every 7k - 7500 miles (major service, typical dealer cost $310, or about $30-50 for oil/filter if you do it yourself), and oil/filter changes every 3k - 3750 miles (minor service). Aside from these services, the same basics apply to both bikes: brake fluid & fork seals/fluid every other year, chain clean/lube every 600 miles.

Support network: Suzuki dealers are far easier to find than Ducati dealerships. Ditto used and maint parts.

Ergo's: I prefer the Katana's ergos, although it is heavier and reflects that fact in it's handling. It's a far better commuter & touring package, but it's not as much fun doing canyon carving, IMHO (not to say it can't carve canyons, it's just not it's forte by comparison to a 370lb naked desmo-driven V-twin). I can tour a 10-12 hour day on a Kat and eat 600-900 miles in that time with no issues; there is no way I could do that on the Monster, much less stroll in comfortably for dinner afterwards. Come rain or other miserable weather, the Kat is definitely the winner.

Fuel Range: The Kat takes this one hands-down, with 5.1 gallons vs. the Monster's 3.7 gallons, even after you factor in differences in fuel mileage.

Storage space: Monster = what storage space? Katana has a ton of underseat storage space, more than virtually any other bike on the market.

Wheelies: The Duc will wheelie away with a slight bit of motivation. Doing the same thing on the Kat is asking for trouble, mostly because of oil starvation while it's hoisted and forces when a bike this heavy goes slamming back down.

Consumables: The monster's two larger pulses eat tires faster than an inline-4 smaller bangs spready further apart. Ditto chains. The Kat takes a lot more oil (a bit over 4 liters per change for me), but it's part of the reliability factor.

EDIT [added]
              Oh, and this might be significant to you now:
              Visibility: With it's dual headlights and large fairings, the 98+ Katana is signficantly more visible to other drivers in general than the Monster. So, while some drivers may still not see you (because they can't see bikes in general due to pattern-matching issues), the rest are far more likely to spot you earlier.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

And I'd imagine the Katana would feel like a heifer when you TRY to flick it into a corner like you would the Duc .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Wow, great replies and thanks for all the opionions. Way more response than I expected.

Cyberpoet you sound like you own a monster Nailed it exactly also added a few issues I had with it didn't bother to mention.

Thanks again all I will find out from the insurance what the total will be and I might go ride the Kat tonight!

Comment

I pay 900 bucks for full coverage on an 05 600. And that dirty jers!!
                    2005 600, Chopped Shovel, Smoked Turn Signals and Rear Light, 14/50 Sprocket Change, Lubetronic, Whiteface Gauges, Chrome Reflective Screen, Anodized Bar ends and Levers, Met. z3's and some nuts and bolts!!

Comment

Working...
                    X