X

looking at a 2002 Katana 600??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking at a 2002 Katana 600??

Hello all, I'm looking at a semi-local Katana 600. I'm kinda hesitant to buy it though. The guy's had it for sale for awhile with no buyers. The problem is that according to him, he removed the body and tank to have it repainted and the shop either lost the parts, they were stolen, whatever for some reason they're gone... So I'm wondering if it'd be worth it to buy this and then have to buy a body/fairing & fuel tank off of eBay or where ever and rebuild it. He's asking $500. I can include the craigslist url if needed...

2002 suzuki katana 600

Date: 2013-01-22, 6:15PM
    Bike does not have painted parts. None. To include tank. Motor and tranny and all parts function as they should. Just no painted parts. This would be a great simple project. The bike does have a title.

Thanks, Tony
    1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Sports Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page

Originally posted by TonyKZ1 View Post
    Hello all, I'm looking at a semi-local Katana 600. I'm kinda hesitant to buy it though. The guy's had it for sale for awhile with no buyers. The problem is that according to him, he removed the body and tank to have it repainted and the shop either lost the parts, they were stolen, whatever for some reason they're gone... So I'm wondering if it'd be worth it to buy this and then have to buy a body/fairing & fuel tank off of eBay or where ever and rebuild it. He's asking $500. I can include the craigslist url if needed...

2002 suzuki katana 600

Date: 2013-01-22, 6:15PM
    Bike does not have painted parts. None. To include tank. Motor and tranny and all parts function as they should. Just no painted parts. This would be a great simple project. The bike does have a title.

Thanks, Tony
    You would have no savings but a lot of time/work invested to make it a whole bike again... unless you want to go "street fighter" with it.

If you like the naked look... it's not a bad deal.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post

If you like the naked look... it's not a bad deal.

+1 anything else would be very expensive to restore.

Comment

Can we see the actual add? Keep in mind plastics would cost as much as your paying for the bike

Comment

Originally posted by Ty2dayok View Post
          Can we see the actual add? Keep in mind plastics would cost as much as your paying for the bike
          At minimum.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Umm... Without a tank how can you know if the engine works? How long has it been sitting and did he drain the carbs? How long has the oil been sitting in the bike?

Comment

Originally posted by numus View Post
              Umm... Without a tank how can you know if the engine works? How long has it been sitting and did he drain the carbs? How long has the oil been sitting in the bike?
              Yea, thats some of the things I was wondering also. He also doesn't list the miles on the bike. Here's the craigslist ad http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/3564681218.html. I went ahead and emailed him asking for more info, so we'll see what he says.
              I've seen some of the eBay auctions for the chinese made replacement body kits, but as you've said they're as much as he's asking for the bike.
              Tony
              Last edited by TonyKZ1; 01-24-2013, 09:40 AM.
              1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Sports Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page

Comment

I somehow misread the original post and thought that the tank was the only part he had. This is the cheapest tank I found http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-SUZUKI-GS...4b996b&vxp=mtr . Pretty sure its missing the petcock and fuel level sender. Most complete tanks are $150+

You can run it with a temp tank to see if it runs. I pulled a small plastic tank off a push mower and used it when I sync'd my carbs. Even making it a street fighter will cost you more than the bike itself.

Comment

Not worth anything unless you want parts.
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                    Not worth anything unless you want parts.
                    If your looking for a project I guess its not terrible since you could part it out to get your money back and than some but that could also lead to more headaches. I bought my 02 katana for $850 with plastics (although the two side fairings need some work) so im sure there will be other deals unless you really enjoy projects or just want something to dick around on and make into a streetfighter or somthing

Did you ask what happened to the plastics (stolen, accident, ect) just curious.
                    Last edited by Ty2dayok; 01-24-2013, 12:48 PM.

Comment

"street fighter" usually means "I'm too cheap to fix the bike right so I'm going to streetfighter it" vs the few that are actually done well.
                      -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ty2dayok View Post
                        If your looking for a project I guess its not terrible since you could part it out to get your money back and than some but that could also lead to more headaches. I bought my 02 katana for $850 with plastics (although the two side fairings need some work) so im sure there will be other deals unless you really enjoy projects or just want something to dick around on and make into a streetfighter or somthing

Did you ask what happened to the plastics (stolen, accident, ect) just curious.
                        Yea, I've emailed him and still awaiting a reply on that. But I thought I remembered seeing a previous cl post saying that he had removed them for painting and something happened to them while they were at the shop.
                        Tony

Comment

Originally posted by TonyKZ1 View Post
                          Yea, I've emailed him and still awaiting a reply on that. But I thought I remembered seeing a previous cl post saying that he had removed them for painting and something happened to them while they were at the shop.
                          Tony
                          More than likely he owed that shop money and when he dropped off the tank and plastics they kept them until he paid up. That is if any of this is even true.. For all you know he sold the plastics and tank already and pocketed the money and is now trying to get you to buy bulk parts.

If you buy this you are going to want to match the title to the frame and engine... Better make sure the frame matches

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by numus View Post
                            More than likely he owed that shop money and when he dropped off the tank and plastics they kept them until he paid up. That is if any of this is even true.. For all you know he sold the plastics and tank already and pocketed the money and is now trying to get you to buy bulk parts.

If you buy this you are going to want to match the title to the frame and engine... Better make sure the frame matches

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
                            Ahh okay, I didn't even think of that. he's texting me back now, evidently didn't get the email I sent him or something.

Here's his texted reply..Sitting for 5 months. Didn't drain carbs and plastics were taken off to have painted but the body shop closed its doors and I lost all the painted parts..

Sounds like a carb clean is in order at the very least, not really a problem as I've done it a few times on my Ninja 250 but this is 4 carbs vs the N250's 2 of course. Then there the searching for all the fairing parts. So far, it's looking like I'm gonna let this one pass.
                            Tony

Comment

The frame and engine don't have matching numbers; suzuki doesn't do that.
                              -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X