X

PreKat replacement tank

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PreKat replacement tank

I need to replace the tank on my 90-750. It has developed some holes towards the seat end of it. What options do I have for tanks that'll fit? Having a hell of a time tracking one down so far.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!

89-97 750 or 88-97 600. I think the 88-89 600 TANK is the same. You will need a different petcock though. The 88-89 600 petcock is not the same.

Comment

All the way up to 97 bolts on right? Really?

Comment

Yup, it's the same tank. Different colors and what not, but it's the same body style. There were 2. Pre 98 (88-97) and 98+ (98-06).

Comment

Still having problem tracking one down at a decent price

Comment

You mean you can't find one for $1 dollar shipped?

Comment

Can't you Por 15 the tank and seal it?
              Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

If there small holes take it to your local welder and tack them shut...but plz make sure it doesn't have gas in it
                That should be cheap enough for ya

Comment

I thought of that but the mechanic who has the bike has said to not get it welded or sealed. Not sure why but he is against that.

No Arsenic, I'm not looking for a tank for 1 dollar, however I do have a huge problem with paying 150$ for one on eBay and getting some rust filled piece of garbage.

Comment

Let me see what those holes look like. I had pin holes and resealed it without any problems.
                    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by TooNudie View Post
                      however I do have a huge problem with paying 150$ for one on eBay and getting some rust filled piece of garbage.
                      A new one was $360 before they were discontinued...buy a rusty one and POR 15 it if your tank is not repairable, that is your best option.

Oh, and quit listening to what "my mechanic" says...
                      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I'll try to get some pictures of it next time I'm there. I have no doubt it could be easily patched up with some welding.

Comment

Originally posted by TooNudie View Post
                          I'll try to get some pictures of it next time I'm there. I have no doubt it could be easily patched up with some welding.
                          Brazing... is actually what you want to do on it unless your talking about cutting out the bottom and replacing with new sheet metal.

Welding extreamly thin and rusted out metal is nearly impossible to do with out just having more pin holes in the weld or worse... blowing through the metal and turning lots of pin holes into one really big hole.

If you were to weld the tank to fix it, then your best option would be more looking at cutting out the rusted out sections, and replacing with new sheet metal that is welded to the old good metal.

If you set on having someone try to fill holes with a welder, then make sure fully clean the inside of the tank out first removing all of the rust. Contaminates like rust will make the weld porous and weak.

Of course, all of that is only considered well after you have fully cleaned and removed all traces of fuel from the tank. You may also find that filling the tank with water can help to ensure no fumes build up inside, and that the rest of the tank is kept cool for a reduced heat warping from the weld.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                            You mean you can't find one for $1 dollar shipped?
                            Stop harassing the newbs. They aren't all cheap, just most of them.
                            -Steve

sigpic
                            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                              Stop harassing the newbs. They aren't all cheap, just most of them.
                              You speak the truth.

Comment

Working...
                              X