X

Gear indicator

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear indicator

Has anyone installed a gear indicator on their Kat. If so where did u buy yours n whats was the difficulty level of installing it.
    Combat Veteran of the United States Marine Corps-0311

Yes, GSXFJim was making custom units for the kat. It's fairly involved. I bet if you do a little searching you'll find his thread.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by katana0311 View Post
      Has anyone installed a gear indicator on their Kat. If so where did u buy yours n whats was the difficulty level of installing it.

yep, GSXFJim has them.

Not that involved to instal actually. Jim's version you swap out the neutral sensor. (remove sprocket cover, 2 bolts and you pop it out, put in the new. Only thing here is it's easier if someone else leans the bike to the right, this way you don't have to drain the oil first).

Once the new sensor is in, you add two power leads to indicator to match up with power for your bike. Most of the Katana harness have at least one unused set of aux leads that you can use that are power on only when the key is on. Connect up to that, and ... well.. that's it. It's just a matter of mounting the seperate display where you want it.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanx Kreylyn. i'll have to hit him up see what he charges for one. i was lookin all over for em yesterday n the one i found MrClean did one that mounted in the cluster. it looked pretty clean. but you had to do all the stuff yourself. dont really have time for a in depth project.
        Combat Veteran of the United States Marine Corps-0311

Comment

sounds like good mod though.
          im an american proud and free , a son of the south dont tread on me.

Comment

IMHO, the Kats came fitted with a gear indicator called a tacho. Better to know you are operating in the right RPM range than in a particular gear - the actual gear number is irrelevant. Reference the speedo occasionally and add some sensory input from your butt and ears and you have all the info you need.

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
              IMHO, the Kats came fitted with a gear indicator called a tacho. Better to know you are operating in the right RPM range than in a particular gear - the actual gear number is irrelevant. Reference the speedo occasionally and add some sensory input from your butt and ears and you have all the info you need.
              yeah. what he said.
              never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Working...
              X