X

Midrange power issues...still :(((

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midrange power issues...still :(((

I get a little stumbling around 3k (doesn't bug me as much ad the next problem) and not alot of power until 10k or so. Im running stock 112 main jets, next size up is 115 which is too much I think, I probably need a 113 too bad mikuni doesn't make that size... Moving on.

At like 5000rpm in 6th gear I was cruising at like 80-100km or some reduculous low speed for the gear I was in. What does that mean? Does a rich or lean mixture cause horrible/no power?

Float heights are 13.5, needle clip position # 3 (middle), Factory Pro stage 1.

I had the floats before at 14 and that was too low, and I don't think I can get much past 13.5 height it'll be tricky, what do yall think?
    For sale thread Album
    1991 Katana 600 - sold

Originally posted by Islandsteve View Post
    I get a little stumbling around 3k
    Do you mean just as you accelerate through first, or are you at 3k while you ride?

3k isn't midrange on these bikes. 3k is well into the "lugging" range.

IMHO you should never be down around 3k unless you're in first

Originally posted by Islandsteve View Post
    At like 5000rpm in 6th gear I was cruising at like 80-100km or some reduculous low speed for the gear I was in. What does that mean? Does a rich or lean mixture cause horrible/no power?
    Well, a rich or lean mixture will cause a decrease in power output (since it's not an "optimal" mixture), however that does not change your ratio of wheel speed to engine speed.

your 6th gear rpm/speed sounds about right. With my pre750 100km/h is almost exactly 5500 rpm in 6th gear

remember: these bikes redline at 12,500 rpm and don't develop much power until after about 7k rpm (midrange). I know mine doesn't fully wake up until above 9k.
    Last edited by MrBrant; 05-22-2010, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Thanks, the only reason I'm cruising at low rpm's is that the engine just sounds horrible from 3/4k - 9k I guess. I didn't write these numbers down while I was riding and my memory is crap. I think the floats are not adjusted properly, so I'm wondering if it's too lean or rich that's limiting the engines power (not nessecarly wheel speed but it's relevant.)

what would setting the clip position down a notch, would that give it more gas off the get go like so the main jet would always be a bit
      more open?? Anyone following me? Correct me if you still think I'm on the wrong track but my power is crap from 3-8k rpm or so...

And ya I meant accelerating through first. What rpm do you cruise at? 8k? I like to conserve fuel and once I get going quick I don't hold the revs up there, don't wanna slay my engine
      Last edited by Islandsteve; 05-22-2010, 02:42 PM.
      For sale thread Album
      1991 Katana 600 - sold

Comment

I learned this from experience.

To determine whether you need more air or more fuel, do some basic diagnosis.

Try removing the air cleaner and go for a really short burn, no where dusty of course and this will allow more air into the bike, making it leaner. Then you know you need a lower needle or lower floats.

OR, try putting some duct tape on the air filter, like cover 25% of it and reduce the air going into the engine, effectively richening it up. When the bike starts to run better, you will at least know whether the problem is rich or lean and which direction to go in adjustment.

I did this on my GS I had and figured it out it was running WAY too rich. Probably from worn out needle jets. I took it for a ride one day with out the air filter and wow, the thing cleaned right up and pulled! I put a K&N in it and it was way better running. Then I sold it! And got the Kat.

Comment

Working...
        X