X

New member, potential Kat buyer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member, potential Kat buyer

First off, great website resource here. Now the question: should I buy a 1993 Suzuki GSX 750F and become a Katrider?

To make a long story short, here’s the situation. I have been riding for about 2 years after taking the MSF course. My first and only bike is a 1994 Honda Shadow VLX 600, good clean shape, no dents, 31,000 miles. I purchased if for $500, and put about $1000 into it—new front tire, new brake pads front and rear, new clutch/brake cables, new clutch—all the general maintenance stuff to keep it in good, safe running order.

My buddy/mechanic (he rides a mint condition, custom 1994 Honda CBR1000) has proposed a trade. He purchased the aforementioned Suzuki for his wife last year and she doesn’t really like the fit—too tall for her petite frame. However, since my bike has been parked in their heated garage all winter, she has been eyeing my VLX. Her Suzuki has been well-maintained, fresh paint with flames, no dents, and 23,000 miles.

Obviously, I know the riding position is quite different. I rode it for the first time tonight (25 miles) and would need to get used to the steering/leaning and the completely different responsiveness of the throttle. I only killed it twice…plus, it’s way quicker/faster than the Shadow. Wow!

I enjoyed the cruiser style, but have always been curious about the sportbike/sport tourer format as well. Am I taking a step up? Is it a good deal? Another motorcycle friend said to go for it since it’s a straight up trade. If I don’t like it, I can always sell it before next year’s riding season.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Welcome to KR!
    "If a cluttered desk is sign of a cluttered mind....what then, of an empty desk?"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...14&ref=profile

sigpic

Comment

I say ride it some more if you can, get a better feel and determine if the style is right for you.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

welcome katana's are great bikes but you need to decide if its the style for you i agree with Krey ride it some more if you can to help you decide if its something you can get use to.

Comment

Originally posted by aznighthawk View Post
          welcome katana's are great bikes but you need to decide if its the style for you i agree with Krey ride it some more if you can to help you decide if its something you can get use to.
          +1

Welcome to KR! Even if you don't get the Kat, we might let you stick around here...
          In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." -- Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut / Yogi Berra

"after the nuclear apocalypse, there will be 6ft tall cockroaches eating twinkies and driving dodge darts, and riding katanas" -- JayBell

Comment

I'd also agree with Krey, try to get some more miles on it before you decide. What kind of condition is the Katana's chain/sprocket in? Make sure that the bikes are in similar condition before you make a trade so you don't get stuck spending more money after.
            Currently in the driveway:

02 Ducati 748 Monoposto: Yellow & White
            99 Suzuki Katana 600: Red (Sold to brother but holding at the house)

Comment

Welcome!
              sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
              1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
              2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
              First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
              Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Yeah, I'm beating a dead horse here, but yeah, ride it some more to make sure you're not going to regret it. Myself, I LOVE the feel of the Katana compared to my friends Shadow Spirit. If you ask me, there is such a thing as TOO comfortable. I have a '93 600, and LOVE the bike. As far as the trade is concerned, seems fair to me. Welcome to KR none the less!
                sigpic

"* JayBell notes that this appears to be a UNscheduled hazing of Mike "Looseplugs McStabbyfoot" Fitzpatrick"

2004 Katana 600 - Bought 01/06/2017

1993 Katana 600 - Traded for a truck.
                2004 Katana 600 - Gone
                2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  I say ride it some more if you can, get a better feel and determine if the style is right for you.

Krey
                  +1 welcome.
                  never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

The pre-98 750 is a great bike. Easy to maintain, lots of mods you can do. If the Kat's well cared for, I'd say go for it.
                    "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post

Krey

Comment

i have to agree with everyone else. trade her for a day and go for a long ride. let her take yours and you take hers so she doesnt end up not liking it either.

Comment

Working...
                        X