No announcement yet.
X

pre98 with post98 caliper swap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sorry guys i got the tires off and relized i didn't have my camera to show... however I'm STILL FUBARED ON THIS SWAP

sorry squiggly your 06 wheel would not fit fo sho

The inside of the left front brake caliper just touches the inside spoke... does anyone know of anything that goes between the speddo pickup and the fork??? or is it wheel... speedo... fork...?

Comment

Refer back to the diagram that Squiggy posted. Item #9 should be there. It is a spacer that goes between the fork and the speedo pickup. If that's not there it could be your issue, but I wouldn't think the rotor would line up in the caliper if that was gone.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
      who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Yeah i'm assuming something is up with number 9 as well but the rotor lines up with the caliper and slides on...

Comment

Sorry to wake up an old thread, but did you solve this? I just bolted a 01 wheel to my 94 Kat. Exactely the same. wheel spins, but each time the spoles passes the yokes...clunketyclunk..... all bushings are in here, an disks are centered in the yokes... the spokes are conciderably wider than the originals though...

Comment

how can the rim be a direct swap? I have searched all over this site, and cant find much info on it. the post wheels use a 17x40x12 bearing while the pre uses a 15x42x13 bearing. is there a specific bearing off another bike that allows post rims on the pre? I'm trying to find info for swapping in a front to match my post rear wheel
            89 gs500e, k&n air filter, sv650 rear wheel swap, gsxr rear shock, 06 tank and bodywork, sv650 tail swap,

93 kat 750 v&h ssr2 full exhaust, 99 katana front wheel, a 180/55 on stock rim, post controls, heated grips

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy_nash View Post
              how can the rim be a direct swap? I have searched all over this site, and cant find much info on it. the post wheels use a 17x40x12 bearing while the pre uses a 15x42x13 bearing. is there a specific bearing off another bike that allows post rims on the pre? I'm trying to find info for swapping in a front to match my post rear wheel

Your post wheel is the wrong year.

The post wheel 98- 02 = same bearings as the pre...
              03+ increased the size of the axle, and went wider forks...

I would bet that would be the issue your having, your trying to use an 03+ wheel.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

ok, bikebandit shows 2 types for the 98, k1 k2, and k3 that was my problem, thanks for your help
                89 gs500e, k&n air filter, sv650 rear wheel swap, gsxr rear shock, 06 tank and bodywork, sv650 tail swap,

93 kat 750 v&h ssr2 full exhaust, 99 katana front wheel, a 180/55 on stock rim, post controls, heated grips

Comment

Sorry for reviving an old thread. I am currently swapping '00 kat wheels onto my '92. Is it necessary to swap over the calipers as well if I am just swapping wheels and not the forks or swing arm? Also if I did swap the entire swing arm would I be able to use a pre hugger without modifying it?

Cintidude04
                  1992- project katfighter
                  2005- GSXR750
                  2001- TL1000R
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                  www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                  KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                  KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
                    Sorry for reviving an old thread. I am currently swapping '00 kat wheels onto my '92. Is it necessary to swap over the calipers as well if I am just swapping wheels and not the forks or swing arm? Also if I did swap the entire swing arm would I be able to use a pre hugger without modifying it?

Cintidude04

For 00 Kat wheels, they will fit in the Pre with no need to make additional changes. The rotors are the same size/shape for the front, and the rear is only 10mm smaller for the OD on the newer wheel, but everything will still work just fine.

The swingarms are similiar enought that the hugger should be able to work just fine. If you are looking at putting the post swingarm on the pre, you will need to shave each end of the pivot point by almost 1.5mm. The Post swingarm pivot is wider than the pre frame.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thankya very much Krey, thats what I needed to know.
                      1992- project katfighter
                      2005- GSXR750
                      2001- TL1000R
                      www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Thankya very much Krey, thats what I needed to know.
                        Make sure you have the dogbone and links for the swingarm your using btw... just remembered they are slightly different as well.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Comment

dont think I will be using the swing arm.

put the front wheel on tonight. but I can hear and feel the rotor rubbing on the pads. I believe it is only on one side. did I do something wrong? or should I try replacing the pads themselves (as they are fairly worn), would worn pads have that kind of effect after switching the wheels? I dont see how, but its worth a shot asking.
                          1992- project katfighter
                          2005- GSXR750
                          2001- TL1000R
                          www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

dont think I will be using the swing arm.

put the front wheel on tonight. but I can hear and feel the rotor rubbing on the pads. I believe it is only on one side. did I do something wrong? or should I try replacing the pads themselves (as they are fairly worn), would worn pads have that kind of effect after switching the wheels? I dont see how, but its worth a shot asking.
                            This is normal, and your old wheel would do it too... you just didn't notice before.

Normally the pads rest just barely at touching the rotors. If there is a wear pattern difference because of switched used rotors, or the pads are used... then you may temporarily notice a little more notice till they wear together. This should go away after just a couple of uses.

It's not a problem unless it's not letting the wheel turn. Another thing to check is simply make sure the rotors are center between the calipers.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Comment

I took the calipers off again and gave the back side of the forks a good scrub down. didnt think of it before but it definitely needed it. rubbing is much less noticable now, and yea I think it should go away after a few uses.
                              1992- project katfighter
                              2005- GSXR750
                              2001- TL1000R
                              www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

I have been thinking and thinking about the original poster's situation. I just remembered someone saying that the post 98 calipers are not DOP (dual opposing piston) calipers. I have never had a pre and post caliper side by side to compare, but if the newer ones don't have pistons on the back side, wouldn't that make them thinner on the inside? I can only assume the spokes of the post rims are slightly thicker than the spokes on the pre rims since I've never had them side by side either. Just a thought I wanted to add to this discussion.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
                                who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Working...
                                X