X

Heated Gear

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heated Gear

So I basically ride year round, and last year I basically accepted freezing during the winter. So far I have a face mask (made from wet suit material and works great), and some underarmor that I wear underneath my MotoGP jacket. I'm now looking at buying something for my hands. I looked a little at muffs but I just don't think I'd like the idea of having my hands attached to the handles (or at least that's what it looked like they did). My first thought was heated gloves, but looking more into that, looks like I'd have to invest $120+ on the gloves and $60+ for the wiring/controller. Now I'm looking into heated grips, which it looks like I can get some with controller for about $70.

So my questions: Are heated gloves worth the money versus getting heated grips? What is the stock size for '02 Katana 600 grips? Do the grips work very well? And lastly, any recommendations (particular brand or a website to buy from)?

Thanks in advance
    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

the muffs attach to the bars and work as a wind brake.
    your hands just slip inside them and you are not attached to the bike in anyway.

I just wear my summer gloves inside the muffs and have no need for heated grips.
    Last edited by hardlydangerous; 11-12-2008, 02:23 PM.
    98 GSX750F
    95 Honda VT600 vlx
    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I don't think the grips will help with the wind chill on your knuckles. Are your gloves too snug for glove liners?

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
        the muffs attach to the bars and work as a wind brake.
        your hands just slip inside them and you are not attached to the bike in anyway.

I just wear my summer gloves inside the muffs and have no need for heated grips.
        I saw a picture of some of those muffs. If I were to ride in very cold weather, that would be my choice. I bet those things keep the hands nice and toasty.

Comment

I always thought the grips looked cool but it seems like a lot of work, unless you're not completely clueless about installation, as I am. I think it would warm your hands because you're not going to be focused on whether or not your knuckles are cold, your body is just going to notice the warm sensation on it's palm. This is all theory, lol, but that's what I think!

Comment

Originally posted by Enjay386 View Post
            I always thought the grips looked cool but it seems like a lot of work, unless you're not completely clueless about installation, as I am.
            Stay tuned. I'm installing Symtec grip heaters this weekend.

The advantages of grip heaters are that they will always be on the bike, no gloves to forget. Cost less than the gloves.

The disadvantage is that they only keep your palms warm, the inside of your hand. The hands need to be in contact with the heaters to work. You can't remove your hand(s) to rest them, otherwise they will get cold. That and they need to be installed and wired to the bike.

If you wanted additional wind protection, install the Vstrom hand guards. The right side is a realitevely simple install, since the Kat and the Vstrom both have hydraulic brakes. The left side takes some modification as the Kat has a cable clutch and the Vstrom is hydraulic, but it still works.

The advantage to gloves is that they heat the entire hand. You can take your hand off the grip if you want to rest it.

Disadvantage is cost. Needing a thermostat, usualy at an additional cost. Wiring it to the bike could be a little easier depending which route you go.
            Last edited by squiggy; 11-16-2008, 11:54 AM.
            How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
            How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
            How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
            How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Yeah , good heated grips do more than you may think they will . I wear my summer-weight leather gloves in the cold , and down to about 30* , it's ok with the heated grips (only good down to like 50* without ) . Below that , the wind on the knuckles SUCKS . My palms will SWEAT at 25* , but the backs of my hands will still be cold .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I'm thinking that I like the idea of heated grips more. I've been looking around for cheap prices (currently, I'm not sure how much I want to invest), but last week I ended up buying me a pair of under armor cold gear gloves to use as liners for my leather gloves. I've been testing them out and it seems that as a pair, the gloves work pretty well. The leather blocks the wind, and the under armor traps in heat. By themselves, the gloves don't work too well b/c the air hits them and gets to my hands.

Comment

I had heated grips on my ATV and I used it for plowing snow and trail riding in the winter, you'd be surprised how nice and toasty they keep your lil digits. You still need gloves of course, but those grips make a big difference.
                  '06 Katana 750

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me!

Comment

Well, hey, post pictures!

Comment

Originally posted by Enjay386 View Post
                      Well, hey, post pictures!
                      Of the gloves? or of AliKat's heated grips?

Comment

heated grips work really well and can be fitted in minutes by a child of 3 yrs old . well i 've fitted them on previous bikes i've owned and my mind is like that of a child of 3 yrs old!
                        its 1973 ,almost dinner time ,i'm having hoops

Comment

I had a pair of those Motocross handguards on my Kat, and it works wonder to deflect wind during the winter. I just wear a pair of winter gloves alone with it and I never had numb fingers. The only thing is that I have to adjust the brakes levers closer to the grips on the handbars to make room for the handguards...
                          sigpic

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

Comment

I wear an old pair of firefighting gloves in the winter. My hands are warm enough, it's the rest of me that freezes. I definitely need to look into heated gear. Any recommendations out there?

Comment

I'm investing in a pair of heated grips for my Ninja, I hope that they work for the Florida winters.

Comment

Working...
                              X