X

What is this thing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this thing?

My bike is from california. When I was installing my R6 shock this cylinder thing was mounted on the left side of my frame. and the 2 little hose section was under the battery box.. Any ideas?

Probably something to do with the Cali emissions crap.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Thats what i figured, I traced the hose back and 2 of the hoses 3 connect to the 1-2 bowls of my carbs and the other hose is connected underneath 3-4 of my carb bowls.. both with a T fittings.. So I left the hoses but pulled out that huge monstrosity

So your saying you dont have that on your bike? gotta be some dumb cali emmissions thing thats adding weight to my bike... lol

Comment

Nope, I definitely don't that on my bike.
        1992- project katfighter
        2005- GSXR750
        2001- TL1000R
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
        www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

It's the charcoal canister of the PAIR system... or CA emsions system as most refer to it.

I would strongly suggest removing the entire system appropriately if your going to take part of it out. All you need to do this is get or make 4 small block off plates for the front of the engine, and 4 rubber caps to go over the ports on the bottom of the carbs. Like $10 in materials and parts to fully remove it all.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            It's the charcoal canister of the PAIR system... or CA emsions system as most refer to it.

I would strongly suggest removing the entire system appropriately if your going to take part of it out. All you need to do this is get or make 4 small block off plates for the front of the engine, and 4 rubber caps to go over the ports on the bottom of the carbs. Like $10 in materials and parts to fully remove it all.

Krey
            Good info thanks cinti and krey.

So krey I am not seeing the 4 block off plates for the front of the engine. I got the bottom of the carbs sealed up tho

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post

Krey
              What are the benefits of removing it? I have the same crap on my bike.
              sigpic

Admin Removed Sig Due to Words. Do not Go Around the Swear Filter. Thank you KR MGMT

Haha.....

Comment

Originally posted by 1swifthawaiian7 View Post
                Good info thanks cinti and krey.

So krey I am not seeing the 4 block off plates for the front of the engine. I got the bottom of the carbs sealed up tho
                Directly under the exhaust down tubes are going to be 4 smaller lines bolted to the engine. Follow those and they will have rubber hoses that lead to the under the tank where you will find more of the PAIR system. To properly remove the PAIR system, you should take off those lines and replace them with simple plates that block off those ports on the engine.

Originally posted by KatanaBrett View Post
                What are the benefits of removing it? I have the same crap on my bike.
                If you have the full PAIR system and it's functioning, nothing. It has no effect on how the bike runs.

If you have a system that is no longer functioning, or have partially removed it... then it may be a major contributor to after fire in the exhaust. If you want to quiten that, then proper removal of the PAIR system is suggested. If you have no after fire at all, then you probably won't see any difference at all.

The other aspect (why I removed mine) was that it was a lot of stuff in the way of doing other basic things, and I didn't need it.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

thank you, I really appreciate the info Krey. mine was partially removed and the other day my gf was drving behind me and she told me my bike shoots flames.lol

Comment

Working...
                  X