Katana of the Month - February 2008  Dane-Kat

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Rolling Stock > All About Brakes & Suspension

All About Brakes & Suspension Everything from the best brake pads to use, installing new brake lines,
swing arm swaps, adjusting your suspension or rebuilding your forks.
Everything you need to know on those topics and so much more is here.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
ne-oublie
Kat Champion

eBay ID: ne-oublie

Default Pre-98 lowering link install. Please read!!!

For the people who bought my lowering kit.A interesting situation came about yesterday on the install for Dumlucks bike.I have never installed these personally or seen a set installed, so i was exited to be involved this time.Well every thing went as expected until Dumbluck started to torque everything down, the links would not pivot??? So i asked the question where's the factory spacer? What spacer was the reply, apparently this was not installed. I assumed that everyone knew to install this, i assumed wrong.As no one had ever questioned the why the hole for the 12mm hole was so big? YOU MUST INSTALL THE FACTORY BUSHING, THAT IS IN THE CENTER OF THE BEARING, ON THE SWING ARM END.Otherwise you have nothing to torque to, and have so much slop in the hole that this will cause PREMATURE WEAR OF THE LINK AND BOLT.This brought up another issue, the link was rubbing a little on the small shield that is on the swing arm, so a small amount had to be ground off the radius of the link, no biggy.This brings me to the purpose of this post,You all installed the factory spacer, right.Please let me know if there is any clearance problems, however small.This can easily be fixed on the next batch, i will just make the radius smaller, but i do need to know.

ne-oublie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:38 AM   #2
HS2020
Katriders Posterboy

eBay ID: Highsight2020

Feb 2005

I made this a sticky so as not to get lost.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:47 AM   #3
ne-oublie
Kat Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS2020 View Post
I made this a sticky so as not to get lost.
Thanks, i appreciate it.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
ATOMonkey
Kat Daddy

Spacer eh?

Number 23? Well at least I won't have to mess with the exhaust to put that guy in there. Thanks for the heads up!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear suspension.JPG (87.0 KB, 130 views)

Last edited by ATOMonkey; 08-25-2008 at 11:33 AM..
ATOMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:16 PM   #5
DumbLuck
Ride in Peace

eBay ID: MrDawn1127

My thanks to NeOuble for the help yesterday installing my lowering links. I found it simpler to just pull the swing arm to do the swap. Much simpler than fighting the dogbone to swing arm bolts (the ones that NEED the stock bushings) past the frame, and SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier to torque up correctly. beats the heck outta removing the exhaust when ya dont know if the PO used anti-sieze. Gave me a chance to get that thick layer of flung off chain lube crud scrubbed off of Zacks pretty paint too. I have a couple of pics of the grinding i had to do, but it was only about 1/8" around the radius of the swing arm end. I'll post them up after my ()*$%)(*$#@(* cell phone recharges. Hope the pics turned out as it's a crappy camera. Again, thanks to everyone for the help.
Lookin for a new Enduro project
DumbLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:42 PM   #6
ne-oublie
Kat Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATOMonkey View Post
Spacer eh?

Number 23? Well at least I won't have to mess with the exhaust to put that guy in there. Thanks for the heads up!
Yeah, that's the one.If you have not installed this please do so, and make sure the link is not rubbing on the guard thing.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:55 PM   #7
DumbLuck
Ride in Peace

eBay ID: MrDawn1127

Default The Promised Pics

Basicly getting the links ready to install after we realized i'd not put the stock bushings into the new link setup.

the needed stock bushing

The red is the area i needed to grind off to get the clearance under the link to swing arm mounting tab. Roughly an eigth of an inch

The Link Assembly before installation onto the swingarm. note the stock bushing inside the spacers and link

my thanks again to NeOublie and everyone else for the help with the install
DumbLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:43 PM   #8
wcj
Tank Slapper

eBay ID: wbtcc

ne-ublie check your PM.
wcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:46 PM   #9
Skid Mark

eBay ID: fsumotorsports

So are these lowering kits still available?
737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:46 PM   #10
ne-oublie
Kat Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 737 View Post
So are these lowering kits still available?

Yes, just finished making up a new batch.Let me know.
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Rolling Stock > All About Brakes & Suspension