X

New Rider!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Rider!

Hey everybody, my name is Jason and I own a brand new black/silver '06 Katana 750. The main reason I bought one is because I commute 50 miles a day to and from work and I was putting to many miles on my car. When I first saw this bike at the dealer, I felt a connection immediately. The way it felt, look of it, and the price came into my decision into choosing this bike over others. This is my very first bike and I must say I'm beginning to have so much fun with it. In the future, I'd love to get a full exhaust system and other goodies. Lastly, what are the weaknesses of this bike?

Weaknesses?
    Public perception..

By weakness what do you mean?
    I actually think most of what people call weak about the Kat are it's strengths.

*power, lower than modern 750's but that is because the engine is 20+ years old. Why is that good? Because you can fix 99.9% of the engine issues with $200 in tools.. With eBay having most of the parts listed every day.

*Heavy, true, but again old tech come to the rescue with the steel being more economical.

*Ugly, Well can't help you there..

*Handling, a super sport bike even of the era of the Katana (remember that even your '06 is really just a "new" '88 ) could spank a Katana on the track but since no super sport rider uses more than 75% of his bike potential, why not just buy 75% of the bike??
    Hey what do you know.. that is a Kat.

Comment

Re: New Rider!

Welcome to KatRiders! I recently got my Kat as a first bike, too. So far it's been a great bike to learn on - enjoy.
      Originally posted by '06Kat
      what are the weaknesses of this bike?
      Well, it will never be as fast as a GSXR from the same year, but most people are OK with that, or we'd have bought GSXRs. Some people complain that it's too heavy - maybe so, but being my first bike it feels right to me.

A lot of people go for suspension upgrades, but since yours is so new, you may not need anything like that for a while. Most of the mods people get into are for appearance or to improve something that's already good (brakes, more power, louder exhaust) - not to fix something that's broken.

Other than that, nothing stands out in my mind as common complaints. The chain will require attention. If you store your bike for more than a couple of weeks at a time, you'll need to take some precautions that will make it easier to get back on the road when you're ready.

It's a tried-and-true design based on older technology - you get a solid, reliable, and fun bike, but without the latest bells and whistles you find on more recently designed bikes.
      1994 Naked Katana 600
      Search KatRiders with Google | SEO Firefox Extension | New SUSE Linux Users | My Motorcycle Blog

Comment

Welcome to KR!!! No weaknesses to me.
        "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
        JOHN 16:33

Comment

great bike, if you love it now...you will injoy your Katana the more you to get to know each other!
          I did! mine is a 93 Kat 750. p.s. welcome 2 the best site on the web!

Comment

welcome!

Comment

Really only one "weakness" when we're talking about a stock Kat: the tires. The stock tires are horrific and really don't offer the grip most of us are looking for. Many people on these forums prefer the Metzeler Roadtec Z6's, but there are many other brands enjoyed by people on Kats. Check out this website for a great write-up on tires (nice details to keep in mind when shopping!): http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/moto.../mc_tires.html -> written by The CyberPoet who I'm sure you'll see making postings on this site.

Besides that, I can't really see how the Kat is weak in any way...unless you're looking for a drag bike or something more akin to an SS.

Ride Safe!
              "When a man is faced with his own death, the impossible seems less of a barrier."

Comment

Welcome to KR!

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders!!!!!!! Ride safe.........

Comment

Welcome to KR

Comment

Welcome to KR fellow S.A. rider.

Comment

Welcome to KR. I have a 2005 Kat 750. I don't think there are any weaknesses IMHO. What most people call weaknesses on these bikes is strictly a matter of their perception and opinions. This is one of the greatest bikes you can ever own IMHO, as long as you don't try to make it into or ride it like something it wasn't designed to be.
                        2005 Katana 750 Traded 04/08
                        2008 Concours 14
                        www.myspace.com/nc_kat750

Comment

Welcome to KR!

Get some new tires
                          It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Welcome to KR!!! No weaknesses here except the tires imo
                            Watch for your Guardian Angel
                            750 '04 Kat (blue)

Comment

Welcome to KR, Jason! Ride safely!
                              =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Working...
                              X