No announcement yet.
X

What type of SS Brake Lines do I need?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of SS Brake Lines do I need?

I'm going to order some stainless brake lines for my 06 kat 750

I'm a bit confused as to what I should order i.e. double lines, single lines. I know the front brake requires two lines (or is it 3?) and the rear requires one.

any help is appreciated, I searched the forums and cant find the required info.

thanks!

josh

You can either get the 2 line one or the 3 line up front. Give letsride a shout. He sells them and is one of our members here. He will take good care of you and get you exactly what you need. I have some lines coming from him. He is a really great person to talk to.
    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

the stock fronts have a 3 line system but when going with SS lines get the two line system ( for the front ) - the kit will come with a new master cylinder bolt to mount both lines to it.

tim

Comment

Thanks!

appreciate the info,

now it makes sense. I looked on a few sites and got confused by the offerings. According the manual there are 3 lines up front, but you can replace with the 2 line's directly to the master cylinder. That's what threw me off!

thanks!

josh

Comment

Just ordered!

I just ordered a new set of lines from cyclebrakes.com, they were most helpful in selecting the right ones. I also picked up a set of HH brake pads for the front as recommended by many people on the board. My bike already stops pretty good now, maybe these pads will make it better.

JL

Comment

With the SS lines and the HH pads becarefull until you get use to the set up. The brakes will have alot more stopping power with the SS lines on there. What brand of SS lines did you get? I got HEL ones from letsride who owns http://www.extremebikescustoms.com/
            www.mopowersports.com

Comment

im going to have to check out the HEL lines, i like the PVC coated lines alot. have that for my car cause everyone says debry can work its way through the steel braids... does letsride offer any katriders discount
              03 katanika

Comment

I got GALFER lines. The seem to be popular, i got them in smoke color and hopefully they should be here soon

JL

Comment

I have a set of Galfers on my Kat and really like them...was the first performance mod made to my Kat..
                  Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                  Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

I just placed the order through cyclebrakes, hopefully I get them this week and can put them in by friday.

My bike is only a month old and I've done a bunch of things already! new seat, yosh slip-on, alarm, clear tail-light and now new brake lines. Going to be a different katana when I'm done with it!

jl

Comment

I have a three-line set-up in the front; I simply liked the routing better that way. Effectively, it's the same thing if you don't run into any problems bleeding through the cross-member (splitter), which I never have.

Far more important than PVC coverings over the metal is whether the lines are lined with teflon on the insides -- teflon greatly reduces water transition into the brake lines (which is the primary reason brake fluid goes bad). Most metal sheaths have a thin layer of clear plastic already over the individual metal strands before they get woven....

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I'm pretty sure mine are teflon coated on the inside, I wanted to make sure they lasted for awhile. I also ordered a bunch of clear brake fluid (castrol) that I hear everyone is using as well since I'm going to be bleeding anyway. Should be a fun weekend!

regards,

JL

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but once you put these on are they not supposed to last the life of the bike? At least that's what is advertised with the Galfer ones....I think we covered this once...
                          Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                          Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

SS lines have three parts.
                            Teflon tubing
                            (I can't imagine any aftermarket SS lines that are not Teflon)
                            Woven SS sheath
                            Clear (or colored) covering.

The Teflon tubing carries the fluid.
                            The SS sheath reinforces the Teflon.
                            (Prevents expansion and kinking)
                            The covering prevents the sheath from
                            abrading parts it contacts as well as
                            offering some protection to the sheath.

Unlike stock lines:
                            Rubber tubing to carry the fluid.
                            Steel braiding to reinforce the rubber.
                            More rubber over the braiding.

SS lines are really a misnomer.
                            The lines are not Stainless Steel the wire
                            used in the sheathing is..
                            Nothing lasts forever but I'm sure that good
                            SS lines will last the life of the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                              Unlike stock lines:
                              Rubber tubing to carry the fluid.
                              Steel braiding to reinforce the rubber.
                              More rubber over the braiding.
                              I believe the stock lines are:

Rubber tubing, internal nylon belt reinforcement.
                              Rubber outter tube to provide additional protection against abrassion.
                              No steel anywhere.

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X