X

98 restore help plz

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 restore help plz

since I'm new to the forum I can't post in the marketplace section, but I need some serious help on restoring this 98 600... the person I bought it from was the 2nd owner, and got the bike naked from the original owner with the exception of the tail fairing. I've found a few parts on ebay, but I'm gonna need a lot of the bits and pieces to get this bike back to where I can put fairings on it. most of the problem is that I don't know what exactly is needed. I'll post pics of the parts as I get them in, but it's really the odds-n-ends I'm gonna need help with.
    sigpic'98 600 Parting Out

First off Welcome to KR!
    Be a lil more specific what odd and ends are we talking bout?
    Pics would be most helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by car0linab0y View Post
      since I'm new to the forum I can't post in the marketplace section, but I need some serious help on restoring this 98 600... the person I bought it from was the 2nd owner, and got the bike naked from the original owner with the exception of the tail fairing. I've found a few parts on ebay, but I'm gonna need a lot of the bits and pieces to get this bike back to where I can put fairings on it. most of the problem is that I don't know what exactly is needed. I'll post pics of the parts as I get them in, but it's really the odds-n-ends I'm gonna need help with.
      Research time...

I've found there are a couple of resources that work great for problems just as this...

Bikebandit.com, Ronayers.com, or other websites that offer purchase of OEM parts on-line. Go to the website, pull up the micro fiche for the parts/section you want to check... and print it out along with the parts list/prices as well.

Then... Check mark on every piece you have. What isn't checked, you need to decide if your going to replace new or used.

This helps to keep your costs low, not over pay for a used item (I'm amazed how many people sell stuff starting bids on ebay for much more than a new piece would cost.)

It will also show you how the pieces go together, so you know if what you do have is properly assembled.

This won't answer all questions you have, but it's a good starting point for you to research, then... when you come to us you can ask about a specific part by name with your questions... instead of saying "How do I fit that dohicky by the end of the bike?"...

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

this is the front as-is... I've ordered a headlight assembly (complete with bracket), front fairing stay, guage holder bracket, and "bracket comp" as it's listed on bikebandit.
        Attached Files

Comment

Don't have bolts yet, but is this how the headlight assembly and guage holder fit together?
          Attached Files

Comment

Looks right...

BTW... what parts are you missing. I recently acquired a 01 600 parts bike...

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
              Looks right...

BTW... what parts are you missing. I recently acquired a 01 600 parts bike...

Krey
              Fairings, mirrors, windscreen, turn signals... Pretty much all the body work. The only plastic left on the bike is the tail fairing.

Comment

Anybody got fairings laying around? I'm close to giving up. Kat fairings are impossible to find at a decent price (unless one of you knows a place Google doesn't) and I can't even post to the wanted section here for 36 more posts after this one. smh

Comment

eBay for the ones from China is the most economical source I've seen.
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                    eBay for the ones from China is the most economical source I've seen.
                    Yeah, that's what I figured. With shipping it's still over $800.

Comment

Welcome to the group!

Good luck with the restoration, It will be frustrating but rewarding when it's done.
                      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
                      Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
                      R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
                      1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
                      RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
                      3BBB turn signal mirrors,
                      Black painted seat and rear trim,
                      Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

FINALLY caught a good deal on some main fairings... $240 shipped for both sides, in pretty good condition. Still need a chin, windscreen, lower front fairing, front fender, mirrors, and turn signals. All of those are pretty easy to find, so it's just a matter of $$ now.

Comment

crazedlist.org or craiglist.com. type 2001 Katana fairing and see whats available. you may be able to find a non runner for parts way cheaper then $800.
                          I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
                          -Unholy m-
                          Current project: Un-Katchable
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chrisgreer23 View Post
                            crazedlist.org or craiglist.com. type 2001 Katana fairing and see whats available. you may be able to find a non runner for parts way cheaper then $800.
                            All I've seen locally is either a whole bike, a badly wrecked bike, or just the engine for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by car0linab0y View Post
                              FINALLY caught a good deal on some main fairings... $240 shipped for both sides, in pretty good condition. Still need a chin, windscreen, lower front fairing, front fender, mirrors, and turn signals. All of those are pretty easy to find, so it's just a matter of $$ now.
                              I'm thinking of painting the bike somewhere between Mercedes silver and smoke black.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X