No announcement yet.
X

What am I up too??????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry fellas, Ne-Oublie and I mocked it up, and got it mounted, but found that due to the hump on the busa swingarm, I would needd to remove the storage part of the undertray from under the seat, and possibly the battery box forward.. I'm really not to worried about that though, I'm running pods, so there is plenty of room.

The Ohlins will work with the knuckle though, and Ne-Oublie thinks we may be able to get away with keeping the Busa stock dogbones, but if not, he can fab up a new set no problem in whatever length.

Looks so sweet on there though, that fat rear really completes the bike IMO.

Spacers had to be made to fill the slight gap from the busa swingarm and that kat frame, I can't remember the exact measurments.

Also, the axle that mounts the swingarm to the frame is a lot larger of a diameter on the Busa than it is the kat, Ne-Oublie made a tube like spacer for that as well so we can use the stock katana axle bolt.

At this point, we are thinking we may hold off till winter, I have been tossing the idea of converting to a street fighter, and with the modification I am going to have to do with the undertray and what not, may as well get it all done at once.
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

Was there a reason you chose the Busa over a GSXR swingarm?

Comment

Be sure to double check the measurments from centerline of the wheel to the centerline of the sprocket for the old and new wheela. It was recently pointed out to me that the 6" rims may be 10+mm further out from center than the 3.5-5.5" wheels for the sprocket mount. This would mean something would need to be done to get the sprockets to line up correctly.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

+1 to key.

I have a set of 6" 08-09 busa wheels waiting to be put on and it looks like 10mm needs to be made up somewhere. My thoughts were: 5mm from offset front sprocket and about 4 mm from flipping the rear sprocket around. Still leaves 1 mm to figure out which shouldn't be too bad when actually digging into it. Dropping down to a 520 would help buy the extra space that would allow the front to offset more (sothe chain doesn't fit the frame) or for a custom rear sprocket to take up the slack although going too much here brings the tire pretty close to the chain. Maybe 4 mm clearance with a 190 rear.
          -2000 "750"

Comment

Originally posted by akarob View Post
            Was there a reason you chose the Busa over a GSXR swingarm?
            I wanted the wider rear, and more of a contact patch. I'm running a slightly modified Gixxer 1127 engine. That and I like the look of the wide rear.

Thanks for the info about the offset as well guys, was not aware, but shouldn't be to much trouble to deal with.
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou View Post
              I wanted the wider rear, and more of a contact patch. I'm running a slightly modified Gixxer 1127 engine. That and I like the look of the wide rear.

Thanks for the info about the offset as well guys, was not aware, but shouldn't be to much trouble to deal with.

There are definately options and several ways to go about it. Already spoke with GSXFJim and he said a custom sprocket with up to a 10mm offset on it alone would be something he can have made.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                There are definately options and several ways to go about it. Already spoke with GSXFJim and he said a custom sprocket with up to a 10mm offset on it alone would be something he can have made.

Krey

Offset the front or back?
                Kan-O-Gixxer!
                -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                -Ohlins Susupension
                -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou View Post
                  Offset the front or back?

Your limited by max of about 5mm offest on the front without doing some frame work. The comment about the full 10mm was that a sprocket can be made with that large of an offset and work fine for the rear sprocket.

I'm sure you can split the difference between the 2 if you wanted... 5 front, 5 rear...

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Comment

Just my 2 cents...but why not just raise the tail a bit to avoid clearance issues with the undertail and battery box?

that's what I did at least...but more because I like the look better with the R6 tail I installed (should also come in handy later when I decide to take on the wider tire beast as well )
                    i raised it about 4 inches i would estimate and looks 10 times better already...not liking my skinny @$$ tire tho with the fat tail... lol

it's actually not as hard to raise the tail as it sounds...probably would look better than a modified undertail too...all depends on the look you're going for.

like i said, just an idea! can't wait to see that busa tire on there btw
                    gonna be saaawwweeeet

i would also like to say that if the whole 10mm can be offset from the rear sprocket alone, by way of a custom sprocket, i definitely recommend that option - not much room for comfort in the stock front sprocket cover with the clutch assembly in there, i would think...

but then again, idk what kind of room you have with a GSXR engine in the katana frame anyhow..

got better pics of that area?
                    Last edited by 9L1V3$; 07-13-2010, 08:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I plan on chopping the rear almost totally, and make it a single seat. As for the offset, shouldn't be to bad.
                      Kan-O-Gixxer!
                      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                      -Ohlins Susupension
                      -Various Other Mods

Comment

got my busa swinger, shock and linkage for 100 bucks on ebay. I see you guys made a spacer for you to use the stock katana pivot bolt. I recieved the busa pivot bolt as well. Thought about using the busa pivot bolt by milling out the frame to accept the larger bolt. Any other problems you have run into yet?
                        wrecked em hell, damn near killed em.

Comment

Not thus far, but we have only had it mocked up.

I don't think the engine will interfere with anything, most of the larger size appears to be in the head (have to drop the engine out to do a valve adjustment). It also appears that using the stock shock can work, although I have a Ohlins, but everything fit and lined up proper.

I dunno about drilling it out to fit the busa bolt, guess that's up to you. I would be worried about strength integrity and what not. Ne-Oublie had the measurments for the space difference as well as the busa swinger is a bit more narrow where it mounts to the frame than the kat one. Other than the clearance issued with the plastic undertray, there doesn't seem to be any other place where it is gona have a "Rub" issue.

Lots of ideas in my head right now on what I want the rear to look like, just gota find a place to chop it!

And DLIV3, my rear is raised a bit from the Ohlins and the dogbones I have, but that hump on the swinger is pretty high.
                          Kan-O-Gixxer!
                          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                          -Ohlins Susupension
                          -Various Other Mods

Comment

Working...
                          X