X

170/60 Rear Tire - '06 Kat 750?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great job guys!!!!!

I'm not looking to do anything that ambitious - just wondered if a 170 would fit (and the fat rubber DOES look cool despite some comments to the contrary !!!). I can always do some measuring but the bike is stored for the winter so I don't have access to it right now. I'm more concerned about fit than any so-called handling issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Katharsis View Post
      Great job guys!!!!!

I'm not looking to do anything that ambitious - just wondered if a 170 would fit (and the fat rubber DOES look cool despite some comments to the contrary !!!). I can always do some measuring but the bike is stored for the winter so I don't have access to it right now. I'm more concerned about fit than any so-called handling issues.
      I would not recomend a 170 tire on a 4.5 rim. It's not just performance that is an issue. There are safety concerns as well. Not using the right tire size can cause heat issues, sidewall failure, and pre-mature wear. This are real issues. This does not mean you WILL have a tire failure. It means you greatly increase that chance.

Can you put one on? Yes. Is it going to work? Maybe. Is it really going to look any different than a 160... no... not really. You could put a 180 on a 4.5 rim and it will still look small! The rim pulls the edges of the tire in if it's too small and will not give you the effect your looking for.

My suggestion to anyone thinking of putting bigger than recomended sizes... do it right. Either modify the bike in a manner that will "safely" allow for a larger tire, or stick with the recomended sizes.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I hear what you're saying but I think it's a bit overstated. It was common practise to go 10-20mm wider than stock when outfitting my Gixxer with new rubber and never any issues with safety. Still, better safe then sorry and the Kat is a different beast. I'll go with the 160 on back then.

THANKS!!!

Comment

i got a 05 katana 600 with a 180 tire in the back i use to have a 190

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            There are safety concerns as well. Not using the right tire size can cause heat issues, sidewall failure, and pre-mature wear. This are real issues. This does not mean you WILL have a tire failure. It means you greatly increase that chance.
            Yes tyremanufacturers are morons....

Comment

Originally posted by andrewzkatana05 View Post
              i got a 05 katana 600 with a 180 tire in the back i use to have a 190
              I bet it handles like a freight train...my ninja handled like a turd with a 190 on it, and I have a 5.5" rim
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Anoucka View Post
                Yes tyremanufacturers are morons....
                Nope, I'm pretty sure they know what they're talking about. Of course, their statements have nothing to do with a society that is litigiously overzealous (likes to sue the a$$ off manufacturers in other words )!!! People always take it to the extremes then blame the manufacturer so the manufacturers have to cover their a$$es!!!

The issues you're talking about are typically seen when people DO take it to the extremes, say a tire (tyre?) 30-40 mm larger than stock (without going to a larger rim and/or other mods), especially on heavier bikes like the Kat. I have yet to see a failure of this type in my 25 yrs of riding though. Of course, I'm no expert, nor am I saying that tire manufacturers or other "experts" on this site are wrong, just expressing my opinion (no matter how asinine you may feel it is :mrgreen.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the people on this forum want to make sure that everyone is riding safely and they don't want to say anything that could cause injury for another rider but I think the matter is being overstated.

I guess we just agree to disagree

Hope everyone is still friends

Comment

So you ask if you can, but get mad when everyone says you shouldn't?

If you don't want to hear the answer don't ask the question. Fat tires do not make you cool, especially on a Katana. Your turn in will suck as well, there is absolutely no reason to get a 170mm tire without modifying your bike to fit it (bigger rim/swinger). Can you tell the difference between a 160 and a 170? Because not many people can eyeball a 10mm difference, especially on a rim that is too narrow for the tire. Have fun at bike night
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Scotty, Scotty, Scotty, I was trying to say that I don't necessarily agree with what everyone says but I wasn't being rude about it, I was trying to make light of it!!!

Read a couple of posts up, I conceded I was going to go with a 160 (Actually, I already ordered the tires - see I listened to what people said ). I think a fat tire on any sport/sport-tourer is cool (my opinion) but you're right, 170, 160, not much of a difference so why bother.

P.S. I'm not mad, HONEST!!!

Comment

I have a 98 and have a 170 on the back.. Yes it DOES fit a stock wheel and swingarm and even clears a Powerbronze hugger. At least the Metzler Z6 does. Others MIGHT require a bigger wheel.

Now it's time for my OPINION

While it does fit just fine and clears everything, it does affect the handling/turning much more than you'd expect. Personally I think I'll go with a 160 next time. If you have a showbike and don't ride it then go for it. Again this half is just my thoughts.
                      I am King Sam

--I have a wedgie!
                      --It's a thong, just relax and accept the string.

Comment

Originally posted by Katharsis View Post
                        Nope, I'm pretty sure they know what they're talking about. Of course, their statements have nothing to do with a society that is litigiously overzealous (likes to sue the a$$ off manufacturers in other words )!!! People always take it to the extremes then blame the manufacturer so the manufacturers have to cover their a$$es!!!

The issues you're talking about are typically seen when people DO take it to the extremes, say a tire (tyre?) 30-40 mm larger than stock (without going to a larger rim and/or other mods), especially on heavier bikes like the Kat. I have yet to see a failure of this type in my 25 yrs of riding though. Of course, I'm no expert, nor am I saying that tire manufacturers or other "experts" on this site are wrong, just expressing my opinion (no matter how asinine you may feel it is :mrgreen.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the people on this forum want to make sure that everyone is riding safely and they don't want to say anything that could cause injury for another rider but I think the matter is being overstated.

I guess we just agree to disagree

Hope everyone is still friends
                        Katharsis you didn't read my post well enough, I quoted Kreylin not you.
                        All I meant to say is that you would be safe with a 170/60 as long as it is "rated" for the 4.5 rimwidth and the weight off the Kat.

best off regards, Anoucka

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                          Have fun at bike night
                          So, people who attend bike nights are bad? What does this comment mean exactly Scotty?

Enlighten me.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                          You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Working...
                          X