Do I have the wrong rim?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have the wrong rim?

**ADDED PICTURES, Scroll down to see**

So here's the background...I have a '99 600 and back in last February I bought a set of black rims off ebay to replace the grey ones that I have. Well I haven't needed new rubber until now, so I hadn't really looked too closely at the rims. A couple days ago, I got new rubber mounted on the front rim and went to install it today and encountered some problems. I observed that the hub was wider than my existing rim and the rotors were flush not offset (hope that makes sense). The spoke pattern is the same as my stock rim and the size of the rim is the same 17X3.5. The spacers did not fit snugly in the wheel bearing housing and the front axle did not fit tight through the wheel bearings. I'm wondering if the ebay auction was mislabeled and I ended up with a set of pre98 rims or perhaps something else altogether. I did not notice any spot for a speedo sensor on the rim however. I will try and post pictures later tonight when I get home, but anyone have any initial thoughts?

I want to confirm this is the wrong rim before I take it back to the shop and have them re-mount the tire on my old rim. Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by crazyaussie; 01-25-2009, 11:33 PM. Reason: added pictures
    1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

Initial thoughts....SV650 or Bandit rim maybe? Pre rims have a different look altogether.
    2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
    BMC Notorious 918 HT
    2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

The wide hub and "flush" rotors are also used on the newer Kat's and GSXR's.

Comment

Originally posted by crazyaussie View Post
        So here's the background...I have a '99 600 and back in last February I bought a set of black rims off ebay to replace the grey ones that I have. Well I haven't needed new rubber until now, so I hadn't really looked too closely at the rims. A couple days ago, I got new rubber mounted on the front rim and went to install it today and encountered some problems. I observed that the hub was wider than my existing rim and the rotors were flush not offset (hope that makes sense). The spoke pattern is the same as my stock rim and the size of the rim is the same 17X3.5. The spacers did not fit snugly in the wheel bearing housing and the front axle did not fit tight through the wheel bearings. I'm wondering if the ebay auction was mislabeled and I ended up with a set of pre98 rims or perhaps something else altogether. I did not notice any spot for a speedo sensor on the rim however. I will try and post pictures later tonight when I get home, but anyone have any initial thoughts?

I want to confirm this is the wrong rim before I take it back to the shop and have them re-mount the tire on my old rim. Thanks for your help.
        You got a set of 03+ rims it sounds like from the clues you posted. Wasn't it in 03 they stopped putting the speedo notches on the front wheels? Same pattern on the spokes means not possibly the pre98s, those had curved spokes. Not fitting tightly points towards possibly a bike with larger axle diams... Sounds like off a different bike completly.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Yeah, come to think of it I think the auction was advertised as an '05, so I bet they were off an '03+. Does anyone know if the newer wheels have a larger axle? Would it be possible to fit new spacers and make it fit a '99? The wheel fits up into the forks; it's the issue with the spacers and axle that has me worried.

Also, I noticed a rubber(ish) insert over one of the wheel bearings? Is that needed or is it simply a different spacer? I pryed it out to try and fit in my exisiting spacers. Again, sorry for no pictures, I will post up later tonight when I get home.

Comment

Yeah, come to think of it I think the auction was advertised as an '05, so I bet they were off an '03+. Does anyone know if the newer wheels have a larger axle? Would it be possible to fit new spacers and make it fit a '99? The wheel fits up into the forks; it's the issue with the spacers and axle that has me worried.

Also, I noticed a rubber(ish) insert over one of the wheel bearings? Is that needed or is it simply a different spacer? I pryed it out to try and fit in my exisiting spacers. Again, sorry for no pictures, I will post up later tonight when I get home.
            SV650 in 05 looks to have a 12mm OD on front axle.
            GSXRs all cc, and SV1000 looks to have 15mm OD on front axle.

I can't find anything that has a larger OD front axle in 05 per bikebandit.

Most of those show covers that go over the bearings that would be plastic/rubber like.

99 Katana front wheel used 15X42X13 sized bearings.

Measure your OD and ID on the bearings in the new wheel. This will answer your question I believe.
            Last edited by Kreylyn; 01-25-2009, 09:37 PM. Reason: added more info
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Here's an overview of the old rim

This is an attempt to capture the hub size and rotor offset of the old rim

Here's the rim in question....suspect now that its off an '03+

And lastly, this pic tries to show the hub width and rotor offset of the new rim

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
              SV650 in 05 looks to have a 12mm OD on front axle.
              GSXRs all cc, and SV1000 looks to have 15mm OD on front axle.

I can't find anything that has a larger OD front axle in 05 per bikebandit.

Most of those show covers that go over the bearings that would be plastic/rubber like.

99 Katana front wheel used 15X42X13 sized bearings.

Measure your OD and ID on the bearings in the new wheel. This will answer your question I believe.
              Guess that gives me an excuse to go out and buy a decent set of calipers...I can't even find a decent tapemeasure at my house.
              Last edited by crazyaussie; 01-25-2009, 11:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Here's an overview of the old rim

This is an attempt to capture the hub size and rotor offset of the old rim

Here's the rim in question....suspect now that its off an '03+

And lastly, this pic tries to show the hub width and rotor offset of the new rim

Guess that gives me an excuse to go out and buy a decent set of calipers...I can't even find a decent tapemeasure at my house.
                Just eye balling it, the bearing on the black wheel has a larger ID (see the difference pretty clearly in the red seal on the bearings....) you have a GSXR or similar wheel 03+ for sure. GSXR wheels have no offset on the rotors as well.

btw, if your not looking at needing something super acurate, harbor freight has a plastic 6" caliper for 1.99. For simple measurements, it will work.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Comment

From what I recall , you'd pretty much need most of the front end off as newer model for all that ...... Dude , that sucks .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

there is simply no doubt, that's an 03-06 front rim.

Comment

If you were closer I would consider a trade for your silver rims for my black rims.

I have a 2001 750.
                      How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
                        If you were closer I would consider a trade for your silver rims for my black rims.

I have a 2001 750.
                        Hmmm...yeah, shipping is a little expensive. When I bought the '03-'06 rims (front and back with no tires) shipping cost about $30 from NY to OH.

I don't know if you'd ship with the tires or not, but I gotta believe shipping would be a little more from TX to CA and vice versa. I think if I could get them shipped for ~$30, then I'd be interested in trading.

Comment

Hmmm...yeah, shipping is a little expensive. When I bought the '03-'06 rims (front and back with no tires) shipping cost about $30 from NY to OH.

I don't know if you'd ship with the tires or not, but I gotta believe shipping would be a little more from TX to CA and vice versa. I think if I could get them shipped for ~$30, then I'd be interested in trading.
                          If it's the same sized package as previously, you would not see much of a difference in price really.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                          X