X

seeking opinion on Conti TrailAttack tires

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seeking opinion on Conti TrailAttack tires

I need to replace my rear tire for my 01 Katana. I was reading about the Conti TrailAttack and considering it as a replacement.

I'm looking for confidence building grip on the road, wet or dry. I find myself regularly unnerved by gravel that they put on the paved canyon roads in the mountains where I like to ride. Around here they dump tons of sand and gravel on the spots that get icy in the winter and the result scares the crap out of me. I love my big heavy Katana for the freeway, but it seems to be more suseptable to sudden skids in light sand/gravel cornering than other lighter sport bikes or the cruiser I used to have. My riding companions think I have gravelphobia and often I find myself lagging. Maybe pschological, but I want grip/grip and more grip on less than ideal country roads.

Also, I often take my Katana (slowly) on dirt roads. I'd say about 5-10% of my riding. They unfortunately only come in 150/70, (i would prefer wider 160/60.) And they are kinda expensive, at $145per, cheapest.

Will these TrailAttacks give me more confidence in sandy gravelly or wet conditions? anybody try them? and how do they wear?

I use continental Road Attacks my self. I love them and have taken them on gravel roads, dirt roads, and rain storms and never so much as a slip. The trail attacks look ok but if you do decide to use them make sure you get one that not only is the right size, but the right load range.

Secondly, if the roads you ride are that bad, slow down. Nothing to be ashamed of, if your lagging and the rest of the pack is flying, then at least your bike wont be wadded at the end of the day. Perhaps you shouldnt find new tires, but some new responsible riding buddies
    Currently Riding:
    1995 Katana 600
    V&H Exhaust
    Jet Kit

SOLD
    2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
    1987 XV700 Bobber
    REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

You might want to check over at advrider for thoughts on those tires. It would not be my first choice, I would much rather look for a tire that is more oriented for pavement that will deal ok with he other stuff. IIRC people liked the Avon Storms for the occasional visit to gravel. As much as I hate gravel I haven't had too many issues with any of the tires I have run.
      Pics
      Pics
      No pics yet
      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I believe the Trail Attack has the exact same tread pattern as the Road Attack but with an extra 2mm of tread depth (more rubber with same but deeper cut pattern). So my thought is that the Trail would ride just about the same as the Road Attack on the hiway but with a bit more bite in gravel and rain.
        The websites that review the Trail Attack say the open paved road performance is excellent, and these sites are highly touting the Trail Attack, but of course they are mostly weestrom and bmw specific.
        Again though, 1) the Trail Attack only comes in 150/70 instead of my prefered 160/60, and 2) they are about $30 more than the Road attack.
        Also experts, do you think I need to switch out the front tire to match? (I wasn't planning to until it wore out)
        Last edited by Toucan Kat; 01-20-2009, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Toucan Kat View Post
          I believe the Trail Attack has the exact same tread pattern as the Road Attack but with an extra 2mm of tread depth (more rubber with same but deeper cut pattern).

Pretty different looking patterns. The other thing is that the Trail Attack does not come in a 17" front.

One tire, I 've heard good stuff about, that does come in appropriate sizes is the Pirelli Scorpion Sync.
          Pics
          Pics
          No pics yet
          Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Working...
          X