1986 Katana Pop Up Headlight Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 Katana Pop Up Headlight Question

Hello, thanks for any input in advance!

I have a 1986 Katana in great shape, all except for the headlight.

The light will turn on, both low and high beam, but the light is a bit temperamental as far as what position it wants to be in, either up or down.

Sometimes it'll stay down on start up, sometimes it'll work fine for an hour or two and will start acting up, nothing consistent. When it does act up, it seems to either stay close with the light still on, or it'll continuously cycle up and down repeatedly until you cut the power etc.

I've recently taken out the motor and am thinking it may (hopefully) just need cleaning, but any other ideas, comments or hints would be appreciated.

It's be my first time cleaning out an electric motor like this, and am wondering what chemicals I should use, and also if it may be prudent to apply a lubricating / protective cream once the job is complete?

Many thanks! Safe riding this spring!

Mike
    Attached Files

Nice pop up. I have never even seen one ut the may be limit switches that get dirty. I let the experts hlp you. But nice looking bike.
    Randy

Comment

There are aresol cans available with electronics/contact cleaning solutions. What ever you choose to use, make sure everything is fully dried before reassembly and powerup.

For general conection points on electrical contacts, once cleaned... used dielectric grease in a thin coating on the contacts to help them stay clean, and keep a good contact for longer.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks Randy! She is indeed a pride and joy!

Kreylyn, Thanks for the input! I've already jotted down the info on paper and will be reading up on the rest before heading into town for the supplies. I appreciate it!

I'm having a roommate issue this week ... i.e. kicking him out for lack of payment ... but once that dust settle I'm hoping to spend some time on the bench cleaning the motor out ... and praying our early spring holds ... it was a whopping 10C today (50F) ... and it's usual;y not that warm 'till the end of April!

I'll reply with an update once the works done, but until then if you, or anyone reading this has ideas, I am always all ears.

Cheers!

-M

Comment

Working...
        X