Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Why can't I open the seat? Am I retarded?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can't I open the seat? Am I retarded?

I've tried and i've tried, but I can't figure out how to lift up the seat. I put the key in hte lock, and try twisting it in the direction indicated, but it doesn't seem to twist very far (maybe 20 degrees or so). It got to the point where I was afraid I was gonna snap my key off, so I stopped. Is there a trick i'm missing? Is the lock broken? Does my motorcycle even exist or this just a really cruel dream?

bama
    What the deuce!?!

The wire might be snapped... or it might just be jammed.

My current ride of choice

Comment

Any way for me to tell which it is?
      What the deuce!?!

Comment

First off this is a bad system..
        Why it exists? No idea..

You have two latches on the 95 750...
        One at the rear, one in the middleish.
        The key releases the middleish one.
        There is a ring (hanging under the seat)
        that releases the rear..
        Technique:
        Pull the ring while lifting the rear most part of the seat.
        The rear should stay up..
        Now try to use the key.
        The irony is that you now may have to push
        on the seat to releive the pressure on the key latch.
        And yes this may cause the rear to relatch..

Ready to buy a Honda yet?
        I removed the rear latch and tossed it..
        Bad move now the rear pops up when I
        sit on the seat..
        I should have tossed the key operated one.
        Or modified the rear to work with the key..
        :
        I'm trying to get a rear latch to fix this issue..

Comment

You are not retarded....er....or we both are. I picked up a 97 two weeks ago and ran into the same thing and posted here. Here's the link.

Look underneath the rear fender near the muffler on the same side and there's a small cable with ring that you pull to release the back part of the seat.

Comment

Hey BP just posted before me.....anyway, it's one of those things that you have to do for awhile before you get the knack of it....I still struggle with it a bit. A little lube on the latches help too.

Comment

thanks yall, i'll have to run out to the parking lot in a few and see if i can't find the super secret cable.

bama
              What the deuce!?!

Comment

hrm... I don't remember there being two latches on my 96 600... was it just for the 750s?

My current ride of choice

Comment

Originally posted by Kanati
                  hrm... I don't remember there being two latches on my 96 600... was it just for the 750s?
                  600 has two piece seat..
                  750 does not..
                  It actually looks to me like a design flaw in the 600 to 750 change..
                  they chose to "band aid" it by using the latch..

Comment

waiting........

Comment

hmmm did he get lost?

Comment

Originally posted by Kanati
                        The wire might be snapped... or it might just be jammed.
                        it is easy to tell which is which. if the cable is snapped, the key will turn as normal...it just won't work the latch. if the cable is jammed...the key will not turn.
                        but from the sound of it, your cable might be ok. it seems you guys have some retarded system on those bikes. mine only has a rear latch. turn the key and lift. and if it does work like mine, the key only turns a bit anway. from 12 o'clock to 2 o'clock is all it takes.
                        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

maybe he broke something :P
                          "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

Just buy a 600..swap out the engine..now you have a 600 seat latching system with the 750 engine....problem solved!!
                            Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                            Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Sorry for the delay. My advisor made yet another one of his surprise lab tours for some random person resulting in me having to tell this guy everything about everything (cause my advisor is a dumbass) and not allowing me to go check out the seat until a few minutes ago.

Indeed the cable with cheap feeling plastic loop was there. I pulled on it. Didn't hear or see anything happen. Then I turned the lock and nothing happened. Then I pulled the cable again and the seat popped up. I'll have to experiment with different combinations to see what exactly is the best/quickest method. Thanks for the help.

bama
                              What the deuce!?!

Comment

Working...
                              X