X

-1 front sprocket speed?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• -1 front sprocket speed?

ok i have a 05 600, i changed my chain and sprocket this winter and decided to go -1 in the front since i like to race i figured a little more acceleration would be nice.. anyways just took the bike out last week and it seemed like my speedo was off by quite a bit or everyone is speeding cause it seems like its reading atleast 10mph faster than im going.... dose the bike read the speed off the front sprocket? and how much of a difference did it make?
    Do The Chicken Dance

Originally posted by Suzukii600 View Post
    ok i have a 05 600, i changed my chain and sprocket this winter and decided to go -1 in the front since i like to race i figured a little more acceleration would be nice.. anyways just took the bike out last week and it seemed like my speedo was off by quite a bit or everyone is speeding cause it seems like its reading atleast 10mph faster than im going.... dose the bike read the speed off the front sprocket? and how much of a difference did it make?
    Motorcycle speed and sprocket calculator with bike database for gearing, sprockets, tires and chains of over 1900 bikes. Request yours to be added as well.

This website contains the answer to your question.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Comment

Yes, you need to install a speedohealer to fix it. They are made by HealTech, made in Hungry, Cal-Sportbike is the US Distributor for them, or your local shop can order one for you. http://www.calsportbike.com/ Todd Robinson is the owner, very good guy, he can answer any questions you have.
        25 minutes from the Cherohala, 30 minutes to overlook (Deals Gap)

Comment

when i just had my front dropped 1 tooth, i got a state boy to clock me. my 80mph indicated was actually 71. actually, the faster you go, the more it's off.

Comment

I'm -2 in the front and had my girl pace me. about 75mph was actually about 60. Luckily I have a speedohealer on the way.
            Let's go riding!

Comment

So you're going SLOWER than indicated . Less chance of getting a ticket , eh ? Only reason to REALLY worry about it is if you got "issues" .....
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

well idk, i never really look at my speedo anyway, i have a good general feel for how fast i should be going and i usually just keep pace with traffic, maybe a little more, but i have had my long days at work and just being tired and lazy was doing 91 in a 65 without realizing it.. that ticket sucked, thanks for the info, i just wanted to make sure my sences were not off and it was actually my speedo
                Do The Chicken Dance

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                  So you're going SLOWER than indicated . Less chance of getting a ticket , eh ? Only reason to REALLY worry about it is if you got "issues" .....
                  I've never had a ticket... I want to keep it that way. Knowing exactly how fast I'm going eliminates the guessing game and gives me more control over speed.
                  Let's go riding!

Comment

Originally posted by sharpie6 View Post
                    I'm -2 in the front and had my girl pace me. about 75mph was actually about 60. Luckily I have a speedohealer on the way.

whoa.. down 2 in the front... dude, u realize your going to be changing your chain out like every 3-5k miles, right?

RIP joe iwanski ... ALWAYS MISSED, NEVER FORGOTTEN!!

RIP MARC...PEGS ARE ETERNALLY DOWN FOR YOU BROTHER
                    "for those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

my build threads
                    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103472
                    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=105768

Comment

next time i change it, its going up to 14 in front. It was 13 when i got so i replaced it with a 13 bc i was used to the feel. But i absolutely hate first and sometimes second gear. Not to mention crushing me on gas. (comparatively)
                      Let's go riding!

Comment

I thought the speedo healer only worked on bikes with like the digital speedometer? Am i wrong? cuz i bought by Katana with 1+ in the rear and 1- in the front so at 80mph i'm going about 70mph and bugs me cuz the odometer is going to have more miles than whats actually on the bike.
                        I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

He was so full of knowlege it's astounding
                        Reading the news, my heart was pounding.
                        My prayers go out to his family & friends.
                        He is the best there was and ever been.
                        RIP Marc "Cyberpoet" Glasgow

Comment

if you have a pre like i do, then isn't the speed determined by the front wheel? in which case, no matter what combination of sprockets i put on, the speedo will always be correct? except of course, if i change the tire or wheel ratio's, which i don't intend on doing...
                          1990 GSX 750F Kat

gravity got ya down??

Comment

Originally posted by pournstarr View Post
                            if you have a pre like i do, then isn't the speed determined by the front wheel? in which case, no matter what combination of sprockets i put on, the speedo will always be correct? except of course, if i change the tire or wheel ratio's, which i don't intend on doing...
                            Correct.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post

False odometer reading, your adding miles to the odometer, reducing value in the bike.
                              25 minutes from the Cherohala, 30 minutes to overlook (Deals Gap)

Comment

Working...
                              X