Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

1999 KAT - Neutral Safety Switch Fix...?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 KAT - Neutral Safety Switch Fix...?

Hello everyone! First post here. Just bought a 1999 Kat 600 - and the previous owner could never figure out why the bike could not start with the kickstand down (when in neutral) and the neutral light did not work! Well, after joining this great site - figured that one out quick! Looks like I have to replace the neutral safety switch. The shop says $140.00 minimum - but the part is $25.00 on ebay (robbery).

I am "mechanically" inclined, but not gifted. I have tools, and know others who also have a lot more than me - so no issue there.

My question is - who has done this before? The manual says to drain the oil?!? Is this necessary? Can I take the cover off and inspect without FUBARing anything? I think it may be gummed up - and want to check - but too afraid - not like working in a car. Anyone who has a step by step (not in the haynes manual) I would appreciate it!

Thanks to all for the great info on this site!!!

well draining the oil you do have to do as for step by step well there is no need all you do is drain oil pull the old sensor out and replace or clean put back together and refill oil
    time to nut up or shut up
    Originally posted by Rican Katgrl
    The way that I look at it is, gear is cheaper than hospital bills and skin grafts. Yes, I think people are idiots for not wearing proper gear. Whether you ride a harley or sport bike. If you have money to go buy a bike then be smart and buy the gear. Whether its 50 degrees or a 100 degress its ATGATT for me.... But that is just my opinion.

Comment

Just bypass the switch.
      The early bird may get the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...

sigpic '92 GSX750F, Motad 4-1 Exhaust, Conti Road Attacks (120/70 & 150/70)

Comment

I wouldn't suggest bypassing the neutral switch. The clutch lever switch yes, but not the neutral one.

Yes, you need to drain the oil to replace the switch. (Unless you want to try laying the bike on its right side-not suggested.) Since the switch housing is below the top of the oil galley you're going to drain the oil one way or another--in a controlled manner from the drain plug or all over the place when you pull the old switch. If your resistance to draining the oil is because you just finished changing the oil to some expensive synthetic stuff and you don't want to have wasted all that money then drain into a clean container and re-use the oil.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Figured he mean't the sidestand switch. That's what I meant he should bypass.
          The early bird may get the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...

sigpic '92 GSX750F, Motad 4-1 Exhaust, Conti Road Attacks (120/70 & 150/70)

Comment

Thanks!!! I'll give it a try this week.

Comment

Easy entry level repair.
              2000 Katana 600
              2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Working...
              X