X

Vibration

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibration

I rode an Interceptor previous and do not remember engine vibration to this extent. I recently (3 days ago) purchased an '05 600 Kat with 5600 miles. At around 5500RPM (~70mph) there is a vibration that I feel on my legs as they rest against the gas tank. I am not sure how to quantify this sensation, except for saying that it tickles a bit. I know, it sounds kinda fruity, but that is the best that I could do. All other speeds are fine. Anything above 70'ish does not vibrate like this. Have I hit a resonance with some other Kata component at this speed?

How would you quantify your engine vibration experiences?
    Mark (aka 'Bucky')
    http://buckyspalace.net
    a site for Linux, chatting, and blogging

Looks like Bucky meets Buzzy.

Yep, Kats are a bit noisy and sound like sewing machines. Yep, Kats are known to sometimes give a buzzing feeling.

Now, as to its cause...

Well now, that could be a lot of reasons. 5k @70 you might be chugging the motor a bit, but not a big deal, a downshift would solve that. Generally when i cruise I stay 10k roughly below my cruise. (I.E. 70 @ 6k, 90 @ 8K above that theres not too much rev matching going on)

Buzzing can be caused from carbs and valves. Synching the carbs helps a lot in terms of the buzzy feeling, but not totally if the valves are not in adjustment.

Simple things can affect what you feel on a bike. Buzzy feeling on the hands could be something as simple as replaced bar ends of the inappropiate weight.

Another thought is the Kat is letting you know its alive in there and looking to play. Seat of the pants feelings are a bit hard to call since there are a lot of factors that affect things, Like feelings. What's ticklish to one might feel normal to another.

If your hands arent about to fall off from vibes, nor your feet, then I'd say its just the bike running as it should.

Enjoy the vibes.

Wasn't it the beach Boys that sang " Good, Good, Good vibrations"?
    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Being a new kat rider myself and looking around here a bit some suggest a jet kit to get rid of some of the vibration as well as what Newbie2it suggested on the valves and carb sync.

Also you could do as others suggest and fill the clip on with lead shot and some epoxy.

Do a search for vibration and you will find a several posts on it and what they recommend to dampen it a bit.

Tmod

Comment

The problem is comparing the air/oil cooled Kat to the liquid cooled interceptor.... Honda just builds excellent engines.

The 750 Kats get honking heavy foot pegs to quell vibration... easier for Suzuki to hide the design flaw than fix it I suppose.
        2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
        2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
        1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
        1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
        1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by buckminster1 View Post
          At around 5500RPM (~70mph) there is a vibration that I feel on my legs as they rest against the gas tank.
          This would imply to me that one of the following statements is true:

(A) The engine is due for a valve adjustment and carb sync (general source of vibration as uneven engine operation);

(B) The gas tank or the side fairings are not supported correctly, probably either missing a rubber stay OR the C-channel at the front of the gas tank has been bent out of shape by someone removing it incorrectly.

The fairings snap into a retainer in the tank that should have a rubber vibration isolator; if this isolator is missing or mis-seated, you'll get vibes that shouldn't be there.

The front of the tank "hooks" into the neck of the frame via two U-shaped C-channels grasping a rubber retainer on the frame. Correct removal of the tank is to slide it rearwards approximately 4 to 6" before lifting any significant distance; failure to do this will bend the metal tabs on the tank that hold that retainer and leave it loose at the front. Rebending them into shape will typically cure that issue.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Suggestions

I appreciate all of the suggestions in this post. With, now 5700 miles, I believe that the 7700 mile valve adjustment is next on the maintenance schedule. Someone correct me if I am incorrect. A valve adjustment is next on the list.
            Mark (aka 'Bucky')
            http://buckyspalace.net
            a site for Linux, chatting, and blogging

Comment

Since you need to remove the tank to do the valve adjustment, simple enough to kill two birds with one stone.

Given that you have zero clue whether the previous owner did the valve adjustment at 600 miles, I agree, it is high time to do one (effectively the 7500 mile adjustment) just to be on the safe side.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
              X