X

Suspension Setup

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension Setup

I'm reworking the 06 Kat 750 into a better ride. I need to set it up for my weight. Right now I'm 274lbs riding. I've decided I'm going with a 1.10kg Sonic Spring in the front. What should I do about the rear shock? Ohlins are expensive, is there any other alternatives? If I need to go Ohlin to ensure that my rear is completely setup for my weight I will. but if there is an option to save a few $100 and still get a damn good setup, let me know.. Curious what our options on rear is.

My honest opinion is this...... You could easily get a shock that will swap in, and have it rebuilt/revalved/resprung by the likes of Racetech, or any other reputable suspension shop, and all together, it would probably run you $500 or so........ or you could drop a little extra cash, and have something that has no assembly required, is backed by a top notch company, and is designed just for your application. It's up to you how much of an upgrade you want...... but I think the Ohlins is pretty much the elite.
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
      My honest opinion is this...... You could easily get a shock that will swap in, and have it rebuilt/revalved/resprung by the likes of Racetech, or any other reputable suspension shop, and all together, it would probably run you $500 or so........ or you could drop a little extra cash, and have something that has no assembly required, is backed by a top notch company, and is designed just for your application. It's up to you how much of an upgrade you want...... but I think the Ohlins is pretty much the elite.
      Money isn't a huge issue to me as a properly setup suspension is. I'm coming in at 285lbs in gear. I'm still loosing a lot of weight on my diet. However I don't want my suspension eating away because I'm heavy. Especially if I'm looking to start doing track days.. If Ohlin is the way to go to ensure I have no trouble in my suspension being setup, I'll do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
        Money isn't a huge issue to me as a properly setup suspension is. I'm coming in at 285lbs in gear. I'm still loosing a lot of weight on my diet. However I don't want my suspension eating away because I'm heavy. Especially if I'm looking to start doing track days.. If Ohlin is the way to go to ensure I have no trouble in my suspension being setup, I'll do that.
        I'm pretty sure that CyberPoet can source you an Ohlins...... Hit him up, and see what he has to say.
        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

The Ohlins will handle your weight out to about 400 lbs with no issues at all, and is totally adjustable in that sense (2 models, both allow full remote adjustability for preload/weight, plus for rebound; the higher-end model adds another remote for the oil [helps it run cooler] & adds a remote damping control) . New or used, it's the single best choice for the Kat as a rear shock, IMHO. I do sell them, but for the Kats they are currently only a build-to-order status -- I already cleared out the global supply of them previously. They occasionally (2 a year?) show up on eBay in used form.

If you want to save $$$ but have similar quality & buy new, look for Halgon shocks (built in the UK). These are not as adjustable and you should spec the load-weight ahead of time, but are, like the Ohlins, fully rebuildable, meaning either brand is a buy-once item.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

since money no issue you think you can get me one too
            sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
              The Ohlins will handle your weight out to about 400 lbs with no issues at all, and is totally adjustable in that sense (2 models, both allow full remote adjustability for preload/weight, plus for rebound; the higher-end model adds another remote for the oil [helps it run cooler] & adds a remote damping control) . New or used, it's the single best choice for the Kat as a rear shock, IMHO. I do sell them, but for the Kats they are currently only a build-to-order status -- I already cleared out the global supply of them previously. They occasionally (2 a year?) show up on eBay in used form.

If you want to save $$$ but have similar quality & buy new, look for Halgon shocks (built in the UK). These are not as adjustable and you should spec the load-weight ahead of time, but are, like the Ohlins, fully rebuildable, meaning either brand is a buy-once item.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              I would prefer one I can adjust 50lbs back and forward for weight loss. What would a build run me? Ballpark figure.. I dont want to get stuck with a rear thats built for 275lbs and then 3 months later im 15lbs lighter. Ultimately I'm dieting and aiming for 230lbs.. However until I make it, I don't want to suffer on suspension. Right now I know mine sucks..

Comment

Check out Works Performance as they set the shock up for your weight and riding style and have several options available.

They will also re-valve it for free if you are not happy with it

http://www.worksperformance.com/html/street.html look at the Ultrasport.

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                  Check out Works Performance as they set the shock up for your weight and riding style and have several options available.

They will also re-valve it for free if you are not happy with it

http://www.worksperformance.com/html/street.html look at the Ultrasport.

Tmod
                  Do they make adjustable tho? Biggest problem is being locked at one built for 275lbs and then I drop to 260.. Thats more money spent and time off the bike while it gets redone.

Comment

Do they make adjustable tho? Biggest problem is being locked at one built for 275lbs and then I drop to 260.. Thats more money spent and time off the bike while it gets redone.
                    They offer one that is 5 way adjustable, Don't know where they are getting 5 adjustments but yeah they are adjustable. Depends on which version of the Ultrasport you buy if you decide to do so.

Nice thing is they are here in the states and will recalibrate it to whatever you want. Take a look yourself as they have several options.

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      If you want BETTER quality not just a big name and "golden looks" look at WP-suspension.

Comment

Not only fully adjustable, that particular pre-load adjustment [the one for weight-squat/weight-response] is on a cable remote that gets bolted to the same bolt as the muffler hanger, so all you need to do is turn a knob next to the right passenger foot-peg, and it's adjusted for weight change (not just for your gaining/losing weight, but also if you're suddenly going to ride 2-up or carry luggage). It alters both the pre-load on the spring and the oil-passage resistance at the same time, so the shock operates smoothly and is quickly adjustable to actual ride-conditions.

I've never used any works-performance (WP) suspension units yet, but they do carry a good name in the industry...

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Last edited by The CyberPoet; 07-27-2008, 06:25 AM.
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I don't know if you ever heard of White Power shocks but my understanding is they are the across the pond Works Performance. Same company different names for different countries.

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                            I don't know if you ever heard of White Power shocks but my understanding is they are the across the pond Works Performance. Same company different names for different countries.

Tmod
                            Wow, wonder why they came up with that name? Sheesh!

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Originally posted by Gytrdunkat View Post
                              Wow, wonder why they came up with that name? Sheesh!
                              Simple fact, the owner/establisher's name was mr de Wit, by the time he got into business he didn't realize he would grow this big.

Nowadays WP (short) is used as the brandname AND it's posessed by KTM.

Nice insight..
                              Moto73, a motormagazine overhere tested the top off the bill suspensionparts off Ohlins, Bitubo, Hagon, WP, Wilbers and Hyperpro.
                              Testbikes was a (not my pick since it's very very extreme) MV augusta 312R
                              Guess what WP was the winner, not to mention this month comparo where the (oem)WP-equipped RC8R CRUSHED a 2 times more expensive Ohlins-equipped Ducati 1098R. (the RC won because off it's better handling, agility, feedback and better suspension, only minus was it's lesser power compared to the Duc....)

Comment

Working...
                              X