X

hand guards and/or heated grips

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hand guards and/or heated grips

Hi all, Am ready to purchase a 2008 gsx650f. Really want to add either hand guards or heated grips. any recommendations? barkbusters doesnt seem to make guards for 650f.... thx

Get heated gloves instead!
    Motorcycle touring means a lot of things these days and Tourmaster motorcycle gear handles it all. From adventure touring to cross-country riding or just commuting on your bike, Tourmaster has you covered.
    -
    -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

how can i say this without being a jerk... search heated grips, there are many threads, ie http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...t=heated+grips

$$170 for heated gloves sounds crazy. try taking a boot warmer, or MRE wrmer and put them in the gloves, or spend $40 and install them
      May the road rise up to meet you.
      May the wind always be at your back.
      May the sun shine warm upon your face,
      and rains fall soft upon your fields.
      And until we meet again,
      May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
      RIP Marc

Comment

I've modified a set of Suzuki Vstrom hand guards to my Kat and I have heated grips. I assume you could do the same to the 650, the guards that is.
        How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
        How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
        How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
        How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

There are other companies besides Tourmaster that make heated gloves....and I bought them on sale at my local stealership (it was a misorder apparently)...I only paid like $100 and I spent close to that on my current non-cold weather gloves.
          -
          -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

My 1st preference is the guard though. I know there are many heated grips out there but I'd like to stick to the guards if at all possible...

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
            I've modified a set of Suzuki Vstrom hand guards to my Kat and I have heated grips. I assume you could do the same to the 650, the guards that is.
            Squiggy: How did you modify the vstrom handguards? Does it help in winter? Here in north cali. If I have handguards I can prolly avoid heated grips alltogether..... thx
            Last edited by XRider; 08-26-2009, 09:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Search for hand guards for a Suzuki DR or DRZ, I'd bet they would work.
              2000 Katana 600
              2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Originally posted by XRider View Post
                Squiggy: How did you modify the vstrom handguards? Does it help in winter? Here in north cali. If I have handguards I can prolly avoid heated grips alltogether..... thx
                Suzuki has a hand guard kit for the Vstrom 650.

For the throttle side it is nearly a bolt on affair because both vehicles use a similar brake master cylinder. I believe the only changed I needed to do was replace the Katana brake lever pivot bolt to that of the Vstrom. Part #4.

For the clutch side, because the kat uses a cable and the Vstrom is hydraulic, custom cutting of the guard was necessary. And just like the throttle side, the pivot bolt needs to replaced. Part #10 in the same parts fiche. Now for this side, I believed I needed to enlarge the pivot hole because of the different size bolt.

Oh, and you need the spacer for the handlebar ends. Part # 4.

Plus now a longer screw to thread the bar end and spacer.

This pic is not very good at showing this mod because that was not my intention when I took this pic, but you can kinda get an idea.

How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

i like the heated glove idea! Looks like i know what i am getting for christmas :P
                  after riding today my hands were so cold i could not text afterwards aha

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
                    This pic is not very good at showing this mod because that was not my intention when I took this pic, but you can kinda get an idea.

Hi squiggy.
                    I bought the handguards of vstrom but I still do not install...
                    Tell me, if you turn the handlebar fully, handguards touch the dashboard? (or fairing)

Comment

I hate to say it but I bought a set of grip heaters on ebay for $5.00 (shipped from Hong Kong) last year and they are amazing. I generally won't spend $100+ on a mod that I haven't checked out on a friends bike or that is not endorsed by Katriders in general but $5.00 is not much risk. They work great and I may get those Vstrom hand guards as well and switch to lighter gloves.

Comment

I have grip heaters on my kat and then bought heated gloves and jacket liner. The heated gloves are worth every penny.
                        Randy

Comment

The bike referred to as Suzuki Katana within the US had this engine style, with designations of GSX-S, however has very little in common with the additional trendy GSX-F Katanas, .

Comment

Originally posted by charls07 View Post
                            The bike referred to as Suzuki Katana within the US had this engine style, with designations of GSX-S, however has very little in common with the additional trendy GSX-F Katanas, .
                            1992- project katfighter
                            2005- GSXR750
                            2001- TL1000R
                            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                            www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                            KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                            KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
                              Yeh - WTF was that??!!

Comment