X

Long time rider first time Kat owner

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long time rider first time Kat owner

Well what can I say, I didn't ever plan on owning a Katana but I just kind of fell *** backwards into this one. I am and always will be a Harley guy, I own two and more to come, but I had an old rusty 83 gt mustang that I wanted to get rid of, as it would have cost more then I was willing to spend,( that's time and money), to get it where it needed to be. One day a guy knocked on my door and asked if I was interested in trading the mustang for his bike, I asked him what was wrong with it he said nothing, so I took a chance and said yes, as I wasn't getting to many offers on the car. So now I am the owner of a 1999 GSX600F Katana. All original with no mods and 30000km's. I took it for a ride and so far so good nice smooth and very responsive.

Welcome aboard
    Need those hard to find crush washers for the bottom end of your forks? PM me, i've got plenty

News from my latest doctors appointment "It's not a psychotic break, it's a psychotic fracture."

Scars are tattoos with better stories

Comment

Good move, you have a nice cross between cruiser comfort and sporty ride and response. Enjoy!

Comment

welcome. check the date codes on your tires.
        never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

welcome to KR... Nice you are enjoying your Kat... I am just south of the Adirondacks and wave to everyone, cause everyone here waves as well regardless of the ride....

One question, will you still wave at Harleys while on the Kat?...lol
          "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

thanks to all

Checked the date codes on the tires and they are good, the guy who had the bike took good care of it. All and any work that was done to the bike was done by the dealer, including oil changes the guy gave me a cover, the shop manual, and all the service records with the bike, tires are almost new only 1000km's on them he put them on the beginning of the season, they are Bridgestone Battle axe front and rear. Don't know if they are any good but they are almost new.

Comment

greetings and welcome to the group

I'm not sure your harley buds will approve, but now you have some definite variety of choices concerning your rides.

bmwerman

Comment

Welcome to KR!
                "The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride!"

2001 Suzuki TL1000R Sold to Cintidude "May you be one with the Torque!!"
                1998 Suzuki Gsxr 750 SRAD
                2006 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Welcome

blue 2001 Katana 600 - Hindle slip on, Hole shot 5 degree ignition advancer

Comment

welcome . from what I have read the battle axes last a long time but the grip isnt excelent.
                    2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Welcome!
                      =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Welcome! I'm a new rider and have yet to get a wave back from a Harley, maybe I need to hope for a Harley/Kat cross like yourself!

Comment

I don't know why the Harley riders don't wave?

I am not a bike snob and am just glad to see people out there riding, regardless of the make or model, I will wave to anyone on two wheels even a vespa! You get snobs in every bike community I have even had guys on sportbikes snub me while I was riding my Dyna and even Harley riders snub me because I was only riding my Sportster so as you can see their are all type of clowns out there

Comment

Welcome from Ohio.

Comment

biker snobs...not really

Biker Snobbing 101:

Several years ago a friend and I took a roadtrip over to a big biker meet. It was my first such adventure into the real “biker world.” He is only about 5'4" - 125 lbs. and was riding a lowered yamaha venture. I was then a young and skinny dude and riding an old goldwing.

As we road up to the meet my friend wheeled his bike over next to a bunch of big Harley bikers (big rough lookin’ guys, tats and leathers) who were standing around downing beers and admiring each others' hogs. I followed right behind the yamaha and we parked in row with their Harleys. One of the biggest guys sort of lumbered over to us and our bikes. He slowly walked around our bikes inspecting them carefully and then leaned down over my friend close and barked right in his face, "You two fellas couldn't afford no motorcycles to ride?" I thought, "Oh, great my first meet and I'm gonna get stomped".

My friend looked up at him and without hesitation barked back, "Well, I'll tell you one thing,” (he paused and looked as menacing as he could, scanning the others)...”I'd rather push my yamaha down the highway than ride one of these 'blankety-blank' pieces of junk!,” gesturing toward their rides. I thought, "We're dead!"

The big guy was obviously taken aback. He stood up straight looking sort of puzzled. Then suddenly, in unison, the others all burst out laughing and he reluctantly joined in. He turned back to my friend and patted him solidly on the back. "Hey, you yamaha - honda guys are alright!" And we were suddenly all buddies and there were handshakes and introductions all around.

We didn't have our biker names yet, but my buddy got his right then and there - "Scrappy." It stuck. I had been so lame as to be wearing a Walmart sort of plaid windbreaker. Mine was less impressive -- "Plaid Man” -- which I worked hard to get rid of as quickly as possible.

I later thought that this had been a sort of initiation or test. One which I would have failed miserably if it weren't for my courageous friend. But it taught me a good lesson: Bikers are bikers. If you aren't ashamed of your ride and hold your ground, there are very few bikers who won't become fast and longterm friends.

Thereafter, any meet we showed up at -- those guys were right there all smiles and “hugs” (well not really hugs, but you know those sort of gang-specific things they do to each other in greeting) and they were genuinely glad to see us and us them!
                              Last edited by bmwerman; 08-02-2011, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X