X

nick on cam lobe

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nick on cam lobe

I was in under the valve cover and did a valve adjustment. I noticed when i was inside the engine one lobe on the intake camshaft has a nick on it.

At first i thought it was a piece of lint or fuzz but it looks like a decent gouge.

The bike runs fine now, should i be concerned about the nick on the lobe. It's right on the very tip of the small end of the lobe.

Should i change them?

What options are open to me with my bike being a 88 kat 600?

You run the risk of it chewing up the follower if it's a serious gouge. I can't remember, are 88's shim or screw adjustment? If they are screw adjustment, you'll have better choices. In either case, use this as an excuse to upgrade the cams a bit. :
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

screw, I have a few sets of GSXR 1100 cams that will work also. Jus' sayin'

Comment

Or, since it's a 23 year old bike, run it until it dies and then drop an 1127 engine in there.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
          Or, since it's a 23 year old bike, run it until it dies and then drop an 1127 engine in there.
          a 23 year old 1127?
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I like wildbills idea!

whats a ballpark figure for dropping in an 1127.

I know a few ppl have done it here.

Comment

About a grand, little more or less depending on what kind of 1127 and how ebay-saavy you are.

Comment

There's an 1100 Katana motor up there now for about $700.

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                a 23 year old 1127?
                No. the OP has a 23 year-old 600. Have another beer.
                Last edited by Wild-Bill; 09-14-2011, 09:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                  No. the OP has a 23 year-old 600. Have another beer.

Well i need to do some research..

anything drop in is better than what i currently have in the 88 600 but what would be the easiest most strait forward drop in? Whats going to require the least modifications to the current setup.

Also i didn't look but that motor on ebay is probably just a bare motor...gonna need a ton of other things to make it work.....not impossible just a lot of work.

Ideally, I'd love to find something that is already pieced together and would drop in nice and easy.

Any suggestions?

I could have the old 600 rebuilt but won't see much more zing outta the 600 if i did.

Comment

No, what he means is that the minimum ANY oil cooled 1127 will be is 19 years old. If you just buy an 1127 and drop it in, your not doing any good. I did an 1127 swap. I worked it out buying a lot of GSXR 1100 parts at once, so I actually MADE money getting the engine. Than I built the 1127 in to a 1216. So unless you rebuild the whole engine you just bought. And you will not get a deal like I did, trust me. You're not doing any good.

Comment

Yes this I know...They are all going to old..

If i found one cheap enough I could rebuild it.

I see now what you guys meant by a 23 year old 1127....I'd still need to rebuild it.

I don't know if this is a dumb question but could a more common motor be dropped in? from say a older GSXR1000? They are easy to find already rebuilt ready to go here in winnipeg i know of 2 at the moment....

Comment

GSXR1K's are water cooled. This link should be able to get you started.
                        A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
                        mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.
                        1992- project katfighter
                        2005- GSXR750
                        2001- TL1000R
                        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                        www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                        KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                        KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Thanks a bunch

Comment

Working...