Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Looking at getting first bike this year.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at getting first bike this year.

Hello! 0 miles on 2 wheels other than a bicycle(specialized sirrus that I got up to 40 mph once, was fun). so complete noob....doing MSF this year and will have around $1k to budget for safety gear and $2k-$3k for bike, but preferably keeping $2k-$2500 and seen lots of kat's in that range. I also looked at ninja 300's, 500's, and for a while looked at dual sports like the klr/dr, but have no need for the DS since I won't be taking it off road. Eventually I want to have a 2 bike garage, a DD(kat 600 or the like) and a sport tourer to follow my wife on trips to CO, OH, and Disney World when the mother in law tags along.

I know you can get a newer ninja 300 for that price and have seen videos showing they are competent commuters, but I fluctuate between 250-280 lbs depending on diet and whether or not I have a strongman meet coming up so I think the 600 might be a lot better, and have heard that they are decent starters since the throttle isn't as responsive(not that they aren't responsive but they just don't have the insane twitchiness as a "R" spec bike). What are the MPG'S on the kat? I know there are some reports of high 60's for the 300, and will only be taken on interstates for about 10-15 mile stretches when I'm running late for work...otherwise its backroads @ 55-60 mph....no interest in speeding or gunning it. I get more of a thrill to see how far I can go on a tank than how fast I can get it and am the type of person who sets cruise @ speed limit or speed limit + 5mph.

Any input would be greatly appreciated....I do realize there is a bit of bias on this forum, lol.

The katana is a sport touring bike.
    Get a good 03-06 Kat, less wear and tear 600 or 750 not a very large difference in power.
    You can buy an even older model but, stay with in the post time frame (98-06). 95% of the pre bikes (88-97) will undoubtedly need some or major work in order to be trust worthy. That said.. Being your first bike, start off on the ninja for a year. Sell it and buy permanent bike.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I get about 45-50 mpg on my '89 750 @ speed limit or just above and even opening it up now and then.
      1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
      V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
      Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

Looks like your in Pensacola also!
        ive been riding my 03 Kat as a first bike for a year now and its been ok. Although I chalk that up to the previous owner now knowing a damn thing about motorcycles.

Enjoy a bike because here in Pcola there are a TON of great riding days

Comment

Yep. Today would've been nice w/ the right clothes.

Comment

Even with my mesh jacket it was real nice in the afternoon.
            For FYI my low limit is 50f and the high is 95f.
            Mid 70s are the best while cruising the beach of going through gulf breeze

Comment

This is month's late, but maybe in the future this will help someone else.

the 300 would have been great if you planned on going into Sport/Supersport bikes. It isn't as powerful as say a 600, so it'll be a little more forgiving when you twist back the throttle, but it does react a little more like a true sports bike.

I have to pull back significantly on my KAT for it to get up and go (which was annoying enough that i had to switch from my street riding style to my track riding for basic things like pulling off) . With the ninja 300 (at least from my experience on the r3) is that it would have reacted closer to the traditional sport bike.

So, in theory, yeah a Katana is a great first bike to learn on, esp if you want the similar power, but riding a sports bike is different so ti'd be helpful if you intented to go there to start off on a sports bike.

Comment

Get yourself an 1100, twist the throttle in 1st or 2nd, and u'll forget you're on a Kat.
                '92 GSX1100F Red/Maroon

Comment

Originally posted by bucket_hat_jojo View Post
                  This is month's late, but maybe in the future this will help someone else.

the 300 would have been great if you planned on going into Sport/Supersport bikes. It isn't as powerful as say a 600, so it'll be a little more forgiving when you twist back the throttle, but it does react a little more like a true sports bike.

I have to pull back significantly on my KAT for it to get up and go (which was annoying enough that i had to switch from my street riding style to my track riding for basic things like pulling off) . With the ninja 300 (at least from my experience on the r3) is that it would have reacted closer to the traditional sport bike.

So, in theory, yeah a Katana is a great first bike to learn on, esp if you want the similar power, but riding a sports bike is different so ti'd be helpful if you intented to go there to start off on a sports bike.
                  Man, you got issues.......
                  My bike takes off just fine, no track style.. Maybe your bike needs some attention. I'll agree with the ninja or R3 for a couple reasons 1) down on power but, able. 2) light weight 3) small frame. It wouldn't be good for portly or tall riders though.
                  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran

Comment

Ninja worked for me and I'm 6'2"
                    1998 Katana 750
                    1992 Katana 1100
                    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I hear complaints from riders around here that it's a tad tight for them. Not to bad for power.
                      Last edited by 92xjunker; 03-19-2017, 10:58 AM.
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran

Comment

Hey man, best of luck for your first bike.

Comment

Working...
                        X