X

Headlights for 06 Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlights for 06 Kat

What would you recommend for replacement bulbs for the Kat?
    PIAA? H4 or H7?

Thanks.
    "'tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"

I have used sylvania silverstars in my pre98 and is still to this day one of the best mod's i have done to my bike.

H4, and I forget the other equivalent

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

9003 is another equivalent for H4, and I believe there is one more but it's slipping my mind right now. HB2 maybe?

Long Live the D

Comment

I have the H4s I got off e-bay and they are much brighter and clearer than stock. I am very happy with them.
        "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
        JOHN 16:33

Comment

Bulbs

Thanks for the info guys.

If I am not mistaken, both bulbs are H4's correct?
          "'tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"

Comment

In the US & Canada (and any other country where both lights illuminate on both low and high-beam), for the 98+ it's H4/9003/HB2 all around.

What to be careful of:
            Make sure the imprint in the metal ring around the base of the bulb says 55/60. Go higher and you're asking for melted wiring and a possible bike fire (we had one bike on here burn to the ground that way, many who just got charred headlight wiring). If you want more, get upgraded wiring and relay system to drive the replacements (there are pre-made kits out there to do this).
            Never touch the quartz bulb with your bare skin. Use a paper towel and rubber gloves. If you do touch the bulb, pour rubbing alcohol over the bulb, wipe and allow to dry. The salts & oils in your skin will cause the bulb to shatter when it gets hot.
            I like the Hella's and the Sylvania's. Both have very high efficiency bulbs that still draw the stock amount of power.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I'm not trying to split hair or be a smart alec but what about 60/55? Is that the same as 55/60? I same some bulbs at wallyworld marked like that on the base.
              Wish You Were Here? And Yes That is Aaron Yates In The Background.

MY BIKE
              http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...rsionpardner1/

AMA SUPERBIKE RACE PICS:
              http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...20race%20pics/

Comment

Originally posted by versionpardner
                I'm not trying to split hair or be a smart alec but what about 60/55? Is that the same as 55/60? I same some bulbs at wallyworld marked like that on the base.
                Actually 60/60 should be OK as a theoretical max, but DOT standards call for 55/60 and that's what the existing wiring is built specifically to support without overheating. A company that can save $50k a year by not getting thick enough wiring to support 110/90 when the government says 55/60 is the limit isn't going to waste their funding making the wires more robust than requried.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

wiring

I appreciate all your comments. The reason I was asking was I saw at the shop the other day a set of PIAA H4's that said '55/60 with the power of 100 / 110' or something like that. Seems awfully bright and bright, anyone use these bulbs?

Thanks again.

Korey

Comment

Manufacturers figured out quite some time ago that if they substitute some xenon gas for the halogen gas and up the tungsten layer, they can get more visible light for the same actual power consumption. This is how bulbs like PIAA's, Hella's, and Sylvania Silverstars get their extra "white" light output (producing 30 to 100% more light than a stock halogen H4). There isn't some secret that any one manufacturer has that gives them a huge edge over the others in the H4/9003/HB2 catagory -- many make +90% efficiency bulbs, which is where you get the 55/60 with the light of an 100/110 from.

The thing you have to be careful of is sellers -- some will be happy to sell you an 80/110, telling you it's way brighter, but not warning you that it actually draws more power. The imprint in the metal ring is the final word in that sense, and can save you from making a mistake that can become both a massive headache and a very expensive repair down the line.

For a lot more on the subject of upgrading your motorcycle lighting, what works, what doesn't, etc., see:
                    CyberPoet's Guide to Understanding and Upgrading Motorcycle Lighting

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

My friend has the PIAA'S and they are a very white light.
                      R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

I bought these, I prefer them over the silverstars and they have a lifetime warranty http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MTEC-...spagenameZWDVW
                        R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Working...
                        X