X

First Bike and First Ride and First Drop

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Bike and First Ride and First Drop

I bought my Kat a few weeks ago and then waited for all the gear to come in from eBay. Then I tried to ride it last week but my battery had died.

I charged the battery and rode it just now.

I took a trainer course a year ago and had forgotten most of the stuff learned. I just reread the books they had given.

I forgot how to control the clutch. I rode around the neborhood and then went onto the street at 11:30 at night to avoid heavy traffic. It was easy for me to go striaght and turn. I need to work on my lane position and be more aware of my sourroundings.

Each time I tried a to do a U on a 4 lane road with no medium, I almost hit the curb. The 3rd time I tried to do a U, I couldn't make it and hit the curb on the side going slow. I dropped the bike and don't remember if I fell down or not, but I got up quick is all I can remember.

I tried to lift the bike up right, but it was very heavy, it took me a few minutes to get it up. I noticed there was a liquad leakage (most likely gas) after I had lifted it up. There was a foot sized circle on the road.

I was afrid to try to turn it on but did it anyways and rode home.

I am ok except for a scrach on my hand and a very sore leg for trying to lift it.

It doesn't seem there was a lot of damage to the bike. Some scratches that I don't care. I am concerned with the leakage. Is that normal?

I will check it more tomorrow.

Yes, if you let the bike sit on it's side, leakage of fuel from the carbs is very normal. I suggest that you sign up to take the MSF course again -- I believe their policy is that once you've taken the beginner course, you can retake it at any time free of charge. I'm also going to suggest practicing in parking lots (ones without parking stops) and using chalk lines on the pavement (or parking space markings) instead of using public streets to; it will be safer for you and for the bike.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

ok cool, so I don't have nothing to worry about (according to the leakage)

How much does a 2000 Katana weight? Mine is a 600cc

I seem to have messed up the gear shifts. It is very hard to change gears into neutral right now. I was trying to move it.

Comment

could be an oil leak? id check it over before riding it again...
        03 katanika

Comment

Weight is approximately 508 lbs wet (with oil & fuel)

Check your shifter and the linkage that moves forward off of it, as well as your oil levels. You may have bent the shifter, or you may have caused an oil leak. Either could contribute to having difficulty shifting. So could a badly bent clutch lever.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

My guess on your u turn problem was sight fixation, looking at the curb you where trying to avoid. I had a hard time breaking that habit myself. Next time look where you want the bike to be and NOT at the curb, It helps alot.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

well at least it wasn't too bad! practice...practice....practice....just remeber to wear your gear buddy! in time, you will be lovin it!
              Ray - Thank you, may I have another?

Comment

At least your were wise enough to wait for very low traffic. Glad you are OK. Don't be too upset. Most of us have done something very similar. I ended up on the neighbor's lawn practicing the same thing you were.

If there is a cul-de-sac near your home you can practice there. I had great success with practicing like that when I first rode my Katana (a friend drove it home for me).

When you have more confidence you will realize that ona Katana even from a dead stop, with the bars fully turned you can start moving without putting your feet down.

Also with heavy bikes it can sometimes be more easily lifted by turning your back to the bike and sqauting down to lift it.
                Race On The Track ... Never On The Street

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiFred
                  My guess on your u turn problem was sight fixation, looking at the curb you where trying to avoid. I had a hard time breaking that habit myself. Next time look where you want the bike to be and NOT at the curb, It helps alot.
                  Yeah I always have trouble with that. I was thinking "look at the road" but I couldn't move my eyes from the curb and it went striaght for it. lol.

Originally posted by FrankTheTank
                  At least your were wise enough to wait for very low traffic. Glad you are OK. Don't be too upset. Most of us have done something very similar. I ended up on the neighbor's lawn practicing the same thing you were.

If there is a cul-de-sac near your home you can practice there. I had great success with practicing like that when I first rode my Katana (a friend drove it home for me).

When you have more confidence you will realize that ona Katana even from a dead stop, with the bars fully turned you can start moving without putting your feet down.

Also with heavy bikes it can sometimes be more easily lifted by turning your back to the bike and sqauting down to lift it.
                  Yeah low traffic is better. My dad wanted me to practice in the daytime (he doesn't know bikes) but I convinced him.

I live in a cul-de-sac, how can I use it to practice more? I just don't want to disturb my nebors. My kat is very loud.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Q~

I live in a cul-de-sac, how can I use it to practice more? I just don't want to disturb my nebors. My kat is very loud.

The is very little on-coming traffic ina cul-de-sac. I would practice approaching the cul-de-sac and turning around without stopping. Very low rpms in 1st or second gear. Just to get used to turning at low speeds.

If you bike is very loud it may still disturb your neighbors though.
                    Race On The Track ... Never On The Street

Comment

Depending on where in arlington you live. Find a empty parking lot, bigger the better.. and practice the turns... If you need, we can arrange to get the bike to the lot if you are uncomfortable riding it to the lot yourself.. not sure of any empty lots in that area though..

Comment

Working...
                      X