X

Throttle Lock

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle Lock

I was wondering if anyone has installed a throttle lock on their throttle. I saw one at the store the other day (I think they were selling it for $20). Sometimes on the freeway, its comfortable to let go of the handle bar and just chill, but the bike then starts slowing down pretty fast and then you have to place your hand back on the throttle to gain speed. I have only dared to let go of the handle bar after installing Metzelers. They just give a whole new meaning to balance. The reason for this post is to find out if it is safe to install a throttle lock. I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Skotty
    2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

With great Horsepower, comes great Responsibility!

I'm guessing the one you saw was like The Vista Cruiser model. There is also the Throttlemeister. I know a few members have used them. Do a search and you'll find some info that was posted previously.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
    -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
    -Terence

Comment

I shoulda serached before I posted. I have been reading the forum for a while but didnt come across it. I guess I'll go ahead and search.

Thanks,

Skotty
      2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

With great Horsepower, comes great Responsibility!

Comment

I have one on my kat and I'll use it to give my hand a brake on the highway, I like it.
        R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

I have the Vista Cruiser.... works good. 8)

Comment

Its safe to install one, and they are very handy..just be careful you dont get "too" comfortable resting your hand that you lose track of what your doing and make sure you're comfortable enough in your skills too. Sounds dumb I know, but stranger things happened while riding.

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
              just be careful you dont get "too" comfortable resting your hand that you lose track of what your doing and make sure you're comfortable enough in your skills too...
              +1

In 1984, I fell asleep on a bike with a vista throttle lock (after laying back 600+ miles; I was riding through a low fogbank at 4:10 in the morning). I was really lucky that I was still upright and on the road when I awoke some 17 miles later (I woke up when the bike started running over the cats eyes used as lane markers). Trust me, if it happens to you, you won't be that lucky. The Gods smiled on me that night.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                In 1984, I fell asleep on a bike with a vista throttle lock (after laying back 600+ miles; I was riding through a low fogbank at 4:10 in the morning). I was really lucky that I was still upright and on the road when I awoke some 17 miles later
                You FELL ASLEEP for 17 miles on a moving bike ??? I don't even know what to say. How in the world did you manage to stay upright ?
                Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
                - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by hellcamp
                  Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                  In 1984, I fell asleep on a bike with a vista throttle lock (after laying back 600+ miles; I was riding through a low fogbank at 4:10 in the morning). I was really lucky that I was still upright and on the road when I awoke some 17 miles later
                  You FELL ASLEEP for 17 miles on a moving bike ??? I don't even know what to say. How in the world did you manage to stay upright ?
                  17 Miles? How did you manage not to slump and fall off?
                  05 GSX-600
                  89 zx750r
                  04 Honda TRX-450

Comment

I just installed a Vista about a week ago, I love it!

Comment

I just purchased the ThrottleMeister and have it installed. I have not yet had a chance to actually use it since the little riding I have been able to do is all city.
                      I should be able to give it a workout next weekend.

In any case, the istall was straight forward and it works smoothly. I got the heavier ones (cost a bit more). They look good on the bike for sure
                      I love my Kat!!
                      2000 burgandy 750

Comment

Sounds like you were extremly lucky you had someone looking over you that night cyberpoet...I'm assuming it was a straight stretch and it is possible. good example of why never to ride fatigued. the ride that wildkat,dat1boyjay,slapshot and me and sarah went on,sarah started falling asleep on the back but she was woken up when i got on the throttle alittle bit and she slid backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by ngilbert
                          I have the Vista Cruiser.... works good. 8)
                          Originally posted by Red Forman
                          It's a Vista Cruiser. You can literally cruise the Vistas.

Comment

I've had a Vista cruiser on both of the Kats I've owned and swear by them. On a long straight boring highway run, I have rested my right hand/wrist for as long as 15 minutes. It works best on flat roads because it cannot adjust for up/downhills. Good Luck!

Comment

I got a throttlemeister on mine. i love it! plus i think they look pretty sweet on my bike, ties in w/ the scheme of it all. on the road, it's totally easy to use and people don't know it's there! I prefer it to the vista cruiser because you can't really see it.
                              Ray - Thank you, may I have another?

Comment

Working...
                              X