X

first ten days with the kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at my nick it's probably no big surprise that I'm also Danish

I've bought a GSX750F (it's not actually called Katana here in Denmark at all, though we know it is the same bike) this year, not delivered till sometime next month though. It's not my first bike, I had a GS500F prior to it.

The headlights issue is normal for the Katanas in Denmark, I too have been wondering if there is ANY way to modify it so both lights would be on @ lowlight.

It must be possible since the overseas Kat's already have this, why on earth the ones here shouldn't have it is beyond my comprehension(sp?).

It's not a law since on the SV650/SV1000 for example both lights are always on.

Any ideas?

Comment

Hey Dane- kat, I wouldn't worry about waving to other bikers until you are a little more comfortable with the bike. With my kat also there is a fine line with the choke, a little too much and it revs like crazy, I'll only leave it on choke for 30 seconds or so and then take it off and it will rarely stall. As for the crosswinds well there's not much you can do except go with the flow, not too many people are crazy about riding in heavy crosswinds. Just think and act like you are invisible to other cars, cause alot of times you are. Sounds like you are off to a good start, ride safe and have fun!
      R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Originally posted by hellcamp
        Originally posted by gibwar
        One thing I have learned the hard way, is when to get it off the center stand, turn the wheel slightly left so it falls on you... (rather than away... heh)
        Wow I haven't ever even attempted that. I always get onto the bike before taking it off the center-stand. Even with turning the wheel to the left, it could still come onto you pretty hard. But then, I'm 5'10 and 140 lbs.
        Thats really the safest way to get it off the stand..especially if you're fairly new to riding..but even so, getting on the bike and rocking it forward will ensure that it wont get away from you. Just make sure to never take it off the center stand with the bike running. one slip of the foot and she could take off on you.

Comment

I guess I should clear up that when I said "fall on you" I really mean a very slight lean, nothing more than you can't handle already... hehe - I'm 6'3 - 210lbs, and for some reason, when I straddled the thing and tried to get it to drop down, it wouldn't budge... so that's when I tried the approach I said above.

EDIT: Dane-Kat, your kat is purrdy! And for a cell phone camera, that isn't bad at all! I should probably get some pictures of my kat up... just having too much fun riding

Comment

[quote="Dane-Kat"] I bought some Held saddlebags, and I think they look OK on the bike. Maybe I will look into some hardcase givi's instead but so far this will do. I have attached a few before/after pics (I hope this works, as I never tried to post pics before...) - pls forgive the quality, it's cellphone-camera

What kind of cell phone took those pics... They are crisp. My cell take pics like shiate.
            2006 Black N Gold Katana 750.
            Hey Pittsburgh!!! (and Western PA), Join the
            "Sport Bike Alliance of Pittsburgh" : http://www.sportbikealliance.com And lets RIDE...
            Motorcycle Maintenance Scheduling and MPG tool: http://www.mileagetracker.org/index.php
            Veteran of the United States Air Force.
            "Land of the Free... BECAUSE... of the Brave".

Comment

Originally posted by KatDK
              The headlights issue is normal for the Katanas in Denmark, I too have been wondering if there is ANY way to modify it so both lights would be on @ lowlight.
              First, look and see if there are three wires going to both of the headlight bulb sockets. You may find that they either installed a high-beam only bulb on the left side or that there is actually a wire missing (depending on how the local requirement is complied with). If it's just the bulb, change bulbs. If there are only two wires going to the left headlight, you will need to get a new H4 (HB2) connector with all three pins in it and wire it in instead.

You can download the service manual from this thread:

(the wiring diagrams are sorted by country in the back of the manual, and the wiring should be the same for the headlights as whatever is shown in the 98+ 600 Katana manual for your country).

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by JaxKat
                pls forgive the quality, it's cellphone-camera

What kind of cell phone took those pics... They are crisp. My cell take pics like shiate.
                It's a qtek9100. Okay camera, but the phone-function has a mind of it's own and it's got a slooow processor for pda-stuff.

Originally posted by KatDK
                Hey there! If you figure out how to change it, pls-pls let me know - You do the wiring, I'll bring the beers?

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                If it's just the bulb, change bulbs. If there are only two wires going to the left headlight, you will need to get a new H4 (HB2) connector with all three pins in it and wire it in instead.
                I just called the dealer and asked if they could change it for me. And they told me that it's a bigger operation, since it will indeed need new connectors and wiring... Since I'm a clumsy ignorant fool with a screwdriver, I think I will just have to live with it - until the CyberPoet decides to come visiting Denmark again ?!

thanks for everyones advice - I'm learning a lot here!

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet

First, look and see if there are three wires going to both of the headlight bulb sockets. You may find that they either installed a high-beam only bulb on the left side or that there is actually a wire missing (depending on how the local requirement is complied with). If it's just the bulb, change bulbs. If there are only two wires going to the left headlight, you will need to get a new H4 (HB2) connector with all three pins in it and wire it in instead.
                  Thanks, that was great information. However since I can't check my own bike (1½ month away *cry*) I called a friend who has a friend with a post-98 kat, apparently he did a succesfull mod.

The way he described it was that there was no wire running inbetween the two sockets, but the high-beam socket had a clamp for a wire and he just installed a wire to that and it worked.

I'm studying to become an electrician so I should be able to handle that

Dane-Kat, I live in Hillerød so if you haven't done the mod and I have when my bike arrives we could surely work something out I looove the beers, except prior to driving though.

Comment

Maybe you guys should make a run to Flennsburg and visit a German dealer :P

Way to help out a fellow rider, KatDK!

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                    X