No announcement yet.
X

how much do you use your rear brake?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To be an effective and safe rider, you need to be comfortable using both. Too many times riders rely on the rear so much that they barely touch the front. I use the front more than the rear. 70-30 or maybe 60-40 at the worst, in favor of the front, but I find my front pads dont wear any more than normal. I know its close to that ratio but Ive been riding that way for long its just ingrained in my head and its 2nd nature.

Comment

Supposeedly , trailing your rear brake into a turn will help keep the chassis stable , and is a good way to change your line midcorner should you have to . I'm not real good at that part yet , but I DO use my rear quite a bit . ESPECIALLY around town .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I use both brakes for (pretty much) every stop or slow-down. I apply the rear brake first to load the front, then about a half-second later, I apply the front brake. But, I use the rear brake as sort of a helper to braking, not primary braking - as in, I don't press on it hard (in order to avoid skidding). Also, I'll use the rear brake to stabilize if I'm doing really slow maneuvering.

I like to stay in the habit of using both brakes (all the time) so that I'll be ready to use them if in the event of an emergency stop
        "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

95% front / 5% rear

IMO the only time you NEED the rears is during an emergency stop or trailing thru a corner.

Doesn't mean you can't use the rear...I just don't think you really need to.

Comment

As far as I know, through my MSF training (clean slate here, still green) I apply both brakes whenever I stop or slow down, and lightly use the rear when doing slow manuvers. I seem to apply the rear a fraction before the front when stopping too... makes it easier I guess? Even when I have a quick stop, I use both, front more obviously, but still both.

Comment

like to stay in the habit of using both brakes (all the time) so that I'll be ready to use them if in the event of an emergency stop
              +1 I Reccomend using both at the same time because that gets you in the habit of using both when needing to make an emergency stop. if you are in a fast braking situation if you normally use only your front or only your rear brake you are 10 times more likley to just grab the brake you are used to using. most people can't think clearly in a panic situation and i use both brakes all the time just so that is one last thing i have to think about doing in an emergency

Comment

I'd say probably 70 / 30, but it may be more like 80 / 20. I had my front pads changed about a year ago because I wanted better pads - they didn't really need changing. When I asked my bike mechanic to look at the rear brakes he said they were fine and it looked like I would probably get another 10K out of them .
                ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

I use my rear brake on every stop just to be used to using both. I don't stop with all of either. I stop with both. In cornering, I only use the rear to lightly scrub speed if need be. In emergency braking, I am on both hard but not on the rear enough to lock it. Locking the rear in almost ALL situations is a no-no. If transitioning to gravel, I switch to "motocross" mode and use the rear over the front.

Comment

A pretty good article on braking...

Comment

Originally posted by Junior
                      only time you NEED the rears is during an emergency stop or trailing thru a corner.
                      and slow speed stuff !
                      - It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

- Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Slim
                        only time you NEED the rears is during an emergency stop or trailing thru a corner.
                        and slow speed stuff !
                        Only if you go slow.

Ok ok... AND slow speed stuff. Bloody know-it-all motorcycle instructors

Comment

At the track: Back in March I attended a ridesmart motorcycle school trackday near Dallas. The instructors taught us to not use the rear brake at all on the track. I would imagine it has it's exceptions, but according to the instructors the need for rear brake pressure only arose at or near a pro level of racing. The reason for this is that when you are braking hard for an upcoming turn, you lift so much weight off of the rear tire that even the slightest pressure would lock it up. Also if the rear does lift off the road you will lose the gyroscopic effect of the wheel and the rear will try to come around on you, all according to the instructors of course. I do understand that this is in a track setting, and it appears that this method is focused on braking before the turn. After setting your corner speed entering the turn you are then able to roll on at or just before the apex. Hmmm I'm confusing myself, time to read through Twist of the Wrist 1 and 2 when I get home from work. This is all with the assumption of using maximum braking force, I would think a little rear brake is healthy on the streets.

I think it depends on the situation. According to all that, it would suggest that in an emergency situation the bike would be more stable if you didn't touch the rear. At max braking potential, if the front is already capable of lifting the rear, all the rear brake would do is upset the bike, right? Does that make sense? hmmm. Again, makes it seem more like it depends on the setting, situation, and type of bike involved. My thoughts are based on a sportbike. I don't think a cruiser has the same concern of an accidental stoppie.
                          '01 TL1000R

Comment

As is mentioned above, I don't use mine at all on the road, just in parking lots etc when low speed is at hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Slim
                              and slow speed stuff !
                              Only if you go slow.
                              well if you do indeed own a vulcan now (still think no), then you better get used to that rear brake
                              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

i tend to use my front brake a lot more. rear only when im coasting at low speeds.

Comment

Working...
                                X