fuel system problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel system problem

Hey guys. I could use some help here...

It appears that my katana isn't getting any gas. The starter tuns the engine over just fine. I thought the problem may be a clogged fuel filter, so I took the tank off to replace the filter. When I had the tank off, I made sure that gas flowed when set to prime. Every thing appeared to be working fine. For giggles, I tried to crank the bike without the fuel tank. Presto. It cranked and purred like a kitten. I thought this meant that I identified the problem correctly... but No! Once every thing was put back together, I had the same problem. I thought that maybe the tank needed access to air in order to feed the carbs so I opened the cap. It didn't help. I looked for kinks in the fuel line but didn't see any.

Any suggestions?

I should probably also tell you that the fuel cock is about one month old, so I don't expect any problems there. I've tried to crank it on every position : on, Res, and pri. Lastly, the bike ran fine less than a week ago...
    Last edited by jbdiaddigo; 05-25-2011, 10:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Verify...

Petcock is tested to be working correctly.

Vacuum line is in good shape with no leaks.

Properly connected lines.

Useing actual fuel line and double check routing for kinks.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Did any Kat ever come with a fuel filter? Lose the fuel filters.

Probably going to mean replacing the fuel lines so watch the line going to #1 & #2 carbs. If that's just a little too long then it will kink.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
        Did any Kat ever come with a fuel filter? Lose the fuel filters.

Probably going to mean replacing the fuel lines so watch the line going to #1 & #2 carbs. If that's just a little too long then it will kink.

Post kats have fuel filters. People use it as an excuse to put them on Pre kats all the time.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I hate cleaning carbs, therefore I love filters. I used to install Fram universal 5/16" inline filters on all my bikes. They cost around $5 and I changed it every year. A guarantee nothing gets into the carbs.

And I had no fuel starvation issues.

Comment

Check the connections at the coils too. Removing the tank might be moving them around?
            Wherever you turn, wherever you go, if you get it wrong the least you can know: there's miles and miles to put it back together.
            G. Tipton, R. Halford, K. Downing

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll look into them when I get home from work today and report back. If you think of anything else between now and then, just let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by jetmerritt View Post
                I hate cleaning carbs, therefore I love filters. I used to install Fram universal 5/16" inline filters on all my bikes. They cost around $5 and I changed it every year. A guarantee nothing gets into the carbs.

And I had no fuel starvation issues.

See, that's the interesting thing about pre kats.

1. They have a filter on the petcock to catch debris that might drop into the tank.

2. If you needed an inline filter for finer particles than that it won't flow enough fuel.

3. The primary reason you would need a finer filter than the petcock filter is rust, but it will generate finer particles than you can filter out in a non presurized filtration system.

A pre does NOT need, or gain anything from an inline fuel filter. If you have stuff getting by the tank filter, your not going to prevent it from getting to the carbs and still get fuel there too.

If you have a rust issue... fix the issue! And an inline filter does nothing for you on that.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Comment

I'm Kind of having the same issue. Carb 1&2 as getting alot of gas flow. But the line to 3&4 is just getting a little bit. Not sure if its the vacuum to carb 3&4 or half of the petcock is a little plugged. The Bowls on 3&4 only has a few drops on gas in them. Also when i did have it running i could hear it trying to suck air from the gas cap. I opened it and the air rushed in.

Any ideas?

94 Katanna 750 project bike..

Comment

The gas cap is supposed to be venting. Find that clog and get it cleared.
                    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                    X