Hauling The Kat???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hauling The Kat???

How should I transport my bike?

Is it easier to buy a ramp and some tie downs and carry the bike in the bed of my F150? Or would it be better to buy a trailer?

Im thinking the trailer would be the best way to go just because I dont see how I could get the bike in or out of the truck by myself.

Does anyone know of any cheap motorcycle trailers?
    (One that wont fall apart on the drive from Key West to El Paso)
    sigpic"No good decision was ever made from a swivel chair." General George S. Patton

U.S. ARMY

on your own onto a truck bed, nope i wouldn't risk it ....

for simplicity any flat bed trailer will carry your bike as long as the trailer bed is 7 foot long if it has sides and a tail gate, just make sure you tie the bike down securely...

i've no idea where you'll hire a trailer from as i'm English....

i make my own trailers as and when i need one out of caravan chassis and my bike trailer i made using a trailer tent chassis .....

carried a 900dohc honda 70 miles on that at up to 80mph, cost me a grand total of £30 to build (3tyres and 2 spare rims)
    in this second pic you can see the ramp clipped on the right side of the trailer bed, the tube in the centre is the mount to lock the ramp in position when loading/unloading.....
    Last edited by NiteMare; 04-26-2008, 05:53 AM.
    it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Comment

Ha.. wow.. im not sure somethin like that would make it across the U.S. .. I have to make it about 2000 miles. I was looking at some ramps on this site. http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle_ramp_page.htm

They have some wide ones that you can just ride up. ive never seen anyone use that kinda ramp though. I'd be afraid it would slip off of the trucks tail gate while I was ridin up it.
      sigpic"No good decision was ever made from a swivel chair." General George S. Patton

U.S. ARMY

Comment

see the tires on that trailer. lmao
        Bling....

Comment

Harbor Freight Has The Best Deals On Trailers.

Comment

Go to Harbour Freigh get one of their small trailers is like 300.00 or less and adapt it for your motorcycle
            Tecnico28

Comment

If you've already got a truck, I would just buy a ramp, or make one myself. When we used to haul our dirtbikes around we build a pretty solid ramp out of wood, and made a sort of lip at the end that hooked onto the tailgate so it wouldn't slip out. I think that's much easier. Besides, in some states (if not all) that any trailer have fully functional lights that operate with your brake lights. I know our vehicles don't have the set up for that.

Comment

its cheaper to buy ramp and ties downs its not that hard to load bike using the ramp
                sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

Depends on what you want. Sure you can load it in your truck..but getting it on and off by yourself isn't enjoyable...but can be done.

Shop the local Craigslist and classifieds, you can probably find a trailer for cheap that you could use for other things too. A trailer is ALWAYS handy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirhcrod View Post
                    If you've already got a truck, I would just buy a ramp, or make one myself. When we used to haul our dirtbikes around we build a pretty solid ramp out of wood, and made a sort of lip at the end that hooked onto the tailgate so it wouldn't slip out. I think that's much easier. Besides, in some states (if not all) that any trailer have fully functional lights that operate with your brake lights. I know our vehicles don't have the set up for that.

a dirt bike is a lot lighter than a katana. a truck is ok to haul a bike, but it is a risk loading and unloading it....especially if you do it alone. I strongly suggest a trailer.

as for your vehicles not set up for lights.....very simple to fix. with my xterra I just bought the adapter that plugs into your wiring harness. it is as simple as unplugging the harness at the rear and plugging the adapter in between. took all of a minute to do.
                    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

The only way I would put it in back of the truck by myself is with a hill or loading dock to reduce the incline.

Comment

I can load my truck by backing it up to the hill in my front yard, then riding the bike around.... if I *really* need to. Usually we just push it up the ramps.

But then... I also have a trailer too...
                        -Steve

sigpic
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

when I had my bike tow to shop the guy who loaded the bike did it less than ten secs and he was a skinny guy did it with no effect he got a running start bam its loaded tie the bike down and was gone less than five mins
                          sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

I have a Tow Pro utility trailer with a Pengal motorcycle chock mounted to it. I've had it for years and towed several bikes varying distances with it. That set up pictured above looks like an accident waiting to happen. Get some real motorcycle tiedowns no matter what you decide to use...

Comment

I'm not really one to pull something that has it's own engine (hint,hint) but to buy a ramp and use your own truck makes the most sense to me. You will need someone to help if you don't have a lot of experience doing that, though.

The only way I would put it in back of the truck by myself is with a hill or loading dock to reduce the incline.
                              That's a good idea as well, if there are any hills around your place.
                              Last edited by BIGKAT1100; 04-26-2008, 04:16 PM.
                              The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Working...
                              X