California registration tips

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California registration tips

Hi All,

So my uk model katana 1000 is on its way to the usa.
    The EPA and DOT paperwork is filed no problems here do to its age,
    So my question is how do I go about getting a California title?
    Thing is it doesn't have the fed sticker on it because the 1000 cc kats were
    grey market imports
    I have read that using a dmv registration sevice is the best way these people don't care they just want to get paid.
    I have the original English log book showing my ownership since 1985
    Anyone in California done anything like this?

ThanksSuzookey.jpg

I live in cali and just asked my Australian friend how he registered his bike when he came over he said all he had to do was bring the papers he filled out before shipping it over "Import papers" he said to the DMV with a SMOG (Passing the U.S Emissions test) and paid a fee and they sent him a title in 5 days

Also he said that if you dont have the import paperwork they can take your bike and it almost happened to his dads, so be careful.
    Last edited by HighRisk; 08-27-2013, 10:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Thanks good info,
      what age was his bike and by import papers was that the EPA form 3250-1 and DOT form HS -7

Comment

Originally posted by Frazer View Post
        Thanks good info,
        what age was his bike and by import papers was that the EPA form 3250-1 and DOT form HS -7
        I asked him and he doesnt know xD I can see if he will try to find his papers again and ill post a copy or something if you'd like

Comment

You will probably be asked to get it inspected by the California Highway Patrol ( CHP )...They look the bike over and verify VIN numbers...check for proper turn signals and such. Once CHP gives the OK it's easy from there.
          79 Honda Red CBX, 79 Honda Silver CBX, 82 Suzuki 1000 Katana, 76 Kawasaki KZ900, 84 VF1000F, 07 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol, 95 CB1000 Big One, 1987 Hondaxl600R, 1978 Honda XL250S, 2006 Yamaha TW200

Comment

more info on this thread.....

Good luck and keep us posted.
            79 Honda Red CBX, 79 Honda Silver CBX, 82 Suzuki 1000 Katana, 76 Kawasaki KZ900, 84 VF1000F, 07 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol, 95 CB1000 Big One, 1987 Hondaxl600R, 1978 Honda XL250S, 2006 Yamaha TW200

Comment

Thanks for the link ,made for an interesting read.
              Reading other forums the CHP is a pain but mostly a formality then the dmv goes reasonably well
              we shall see ,My bike is still sailing its way over here.

Comment

Happy to help....actually when I registered an out of state bike here in California the CHP was very helpful and pleasant to deal with....the "people" at the DMV were VIPERS!!!! Rude and obnoxious....

Good luck and post up a pic of that bad boy when you get it...

Comment

+1 on the dmv ask 2 people get 2 different answers and so on I would hate to have to get an inspection there I have watched them one of my work locations backs up to the dmv its kinda pathetic.
                  On the flip side talked to a CHP officer asked him a few questions about what I needed to do he was very helpful turns out he rides old Honda's, Nice guy.

Comment

Working...
                  X