X

Max weight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max weight?

Hey There I am trying to find some info out about the maximum load capacity of a 96 katana 750.

If any one knows that would most helpful.

Can't remember off the top of my head, but look at specifications in the owner's manual. You're looking for GVWR weight, or the maximum weight of the bike, fluids, passengers, luggage, etc... This is the maximum weight. I'll look in the manual in a little bit when I get more motivated.
    2006 750 Red/Silver Kat.

Comment

Ok I can check in there as soon as I go pick it up.

Comment

If you can't find the book, or don't want to look it up, just look under the seat. There should be sticker on the top of the fender, under the seat that has all that information on it.

That depends on the year of the bike though. If it is an older, used bike; it may be gone.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
        who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

there is also a sticker on the frame by the tank and also a sticker on the rear swingarm (tire pressure)

Comment

It's in the back of the owner's manual, but you have to use a little math.

Look for GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating). Subtract the weight of the actual bike (around 505 - 520 lbs normally fully loaded with fuel, tools, etc). The balance is the max rider/cargo load. For the 98+ models it's an astonishing 460 - 480 lbs, making it the second highest cargo load bike on the US market when I last looked into such things a couple years ago (the only bike rated higher was the BossHog; even the GoldWing had a slightly lower total cargo rating). I'd expect the pre-98's to be close to that number, probably 450-470 max.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

(GSX750F) Dry Mass: 461 lbs (209 kg)
              GVWR: 935lbs (425kg) at the tire pressure (cold)

Front 36 psi
              Rear 42 psi

(GSX600F) Dry Mass: 438 lbs (199 kg)
              GVWR: 925lbs (421kg) at the tire pressure (cold)

Front 33 psi
              Rear 36 psi

Dry Mass 750
              Although, I wouldn't go off of the Manual's numbers for tire pressure... Go off the tire manu's recommendations

EDIT: added dry mass

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

gytrdunkat, which year was that for?

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks guys for the help. I have the bike now and looked in the back of the owners manual in the specs sections and no GVWR is listed. I will check under the seat tomarow when I head out to my grandparents to ride.

I had a bit of trouble geting it started tonight sence it was cold but after checking out the owners manual I wasn't giving it enough choke. Put full choke on and she started right up.

Comment

Hcker2000, I'll give you this tip:
                    If your weight (or the weight of you + passenger/cargo) is anywhere close to or above 400 lbs, and you carry that load regularly, immediately upgrade your suspension components to something stiffer than stock. While the frame, bearings, tires, etc. may be up to the task at hand, the suspension system will fail prematurely if forced deal with such weights over anything more than the smoothest pavement.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks for the tip. Max load will usualy be 310 lbs. Every once in a great while the wife or a friend might ride with me for a very short ride.

Comment

Originally posted by hcker2000
                        Thanks for the tip. Max load will usualy be 310 lbs. Every once in a great while the wife or a friend might ride with me for a very short ride.
                        Which tires are you running? Depending on the brand & model, your tire pressures should be anywhere from 36 to 39 in the front and 38 to 40 in the rear riding solo... the stock tire pressures listed on the bike's stickers and in the owner's manual are suitable only for a 140 lb rider riding alone.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I'm not sure what brand rubber they have on them but I will check out the brand tomarow and get back with you on that.

Ah the joys of geting a new bike and starting it for 10 minutes and then having to come home lol.

Comment

Working...
                          X