Surprise! Buells Don't Suck

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surprise! Buells Don't Suck

Hi All,

I must admit something. I don't think too much of Buell motorcycles. I considered them quirky and unreliable riding machines. However, I work near a Harley-Davidson dealership and decided to drop by as a break from the drudgery of work. Anyway, they had a demo model of an XB12S available for riding. Unlike other dealerships, this one actively encouraged me to take it for a spin. They told me to take my time so after some consideration, I took them up on their offer.

I climbed on the bike and noticed immediately that there isn't much of the bike to see. Really. It's so compact that when you look around you barely see the bike at all. Surprisingly unnerving at first. However, once you get used to this the bike is comfortable to sit on. As it is fuel injected you simple turn on the bike, wait for the ignition light to pop on and then you start the bike. I don't consider fuel injection inherently superior for performance but it is a little more convenient than carburetor systems.

Holy smokes, does this thing vibrate. It vibrates so badly you can't see anything in the mirrors. I think that I might not be able to have children if I sit on this thing too long. I pull out of the dealership and on to the road. Thankfully, once you hit 3,000 rpms the vibration virtually disappears or at least is dramatically improved. The bike runs fairly smooth as long as you don't drop below 2,000 rpms.

I pulled onto the highway and I decided to see how this bad boy rides. I twist the throttle. Whoa! This thing has a lot of torque. A lot! I away pull quickly and faster than my Katana could. However, it seems to lose power fairly quickly but then I realize I'm doing 80 mph. Impressive acceleration to say the least but I decided to see how the roll-on power compares. Although good, it isn't any better than my Katana. In fact, in terms of the quarter mile, the 750 Katana is as good if not slightly better. The good thing is you don't have to rev the XB12 engine high to get desired performance and it redlines at over 6000 rpms. However, it does seem to have a narrow powerband.

Objectely speaking, the useable power this machine offers makes it a wonderful street bike, provided that you can stand the vibrations at low rpms. In terms of 0-60 performance, it does better than the 750 Katana but the Kat matches it in quarter mile and roll-on tests, at least according to my informal appraisal. It's compact design and geometry make it very maneuverable and nimble but it is very stable at high speeds, unlike most other SS bikes. The unique perimeter style brakes are amazing and is noticeably better than the Katana's. The Showa suspension is good and superior to a standard Katana but not as good as the Ohlins on my Kat.

Verdict: A worthwhile machine and worth looking at for street riding. I think Buell nailed it dead on by calling the XB machines "sport fighters". Very high torque and nimble geometry makes these machines very good at everyday city riding. For versatility, commuting and touring I would prefer the Katana. However, an XB12R might not be a bad idea for riding around town.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

I was always a little iffy about the gas being in the swingarm myself...
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves
      Motor oil is in the swing arm. Gas is in the frame members.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The ride itself was never questioned...it was the miles and what happens when it gets it.

Comment

Traitor!!!

Just kidding.
          "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
          JOHN 16:33

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
            Originally posted by steves
            Motor oil is in the swing arm. Gas is in the frame members.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Just as concerning IMO.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

clever little eric buell
              You're Welcome,
              - The Social Invalid

Comment

Yeah, I've ridden the XB12S & R on a couple different occasions. Overall, they're a neat bike, but I always found that they really lacked the top-end rush of a conventional sportbike - even any of the japanese twins.

That being said, Darren James runs a Buell in the Canadian racing circuit, and daaaaaaaaaaaaamn can he move on that thing!

FrankenKat 1216
                GS Fiter 816
                GSXR750! (race)

Comment

I am actually thinking of one day buying Buell Firebolt or Lightning. I like the gas in the frame rails and oil in the swingarm and the overall looks. If I do end up keeping my kat I want to get an aluminum made for it and possibly run the gas through the frame.
                  "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."
                  http://www.putfile.com/91750frider/images/6658

Comment

Originally posted by 91750frider
                    If I do end up keeping my kat I want to get an aluminum made for it and possibly run the gas through the frame.
                    what???

I sat on one at a bike show.....took me all of 10 seconds to conclude that at 6'1 200lbs, it is tooo small for me and my shot knees.

too bad....cuz I like the look and was actually considering it when I go to a new(er) bike.
                    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Its more of an idea I'm throwin around rather than a final descision, but if done right it seems like a good idea; you eliminate the weight of the metal tank and only need a tank shaped cover, you lower the center of gravity, and lighten the frame weight by going to aliminum. I'ver tried coming up with bad things about this potential project but other than the risk of weak welds, I can't come up with any. If you guys can come up with any please let me know, this is the frame I'm talking about. And sorry about threadjacking.
                      "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."
                      http://www.putfile.com/91750frider/images/6658

Comment

I still don't follow what you mean, though. the frame on a kat won't hold much gas....and there are holes that would need to be plugged, isn't there? and you can't really weld an aluminum tank to a steel frame. (can't weld aluminum to steel).
                        and I can't picture where you would put a tank of any size that would hold what a stock tank does.
                        I guess what I am saying is I can't see what you are getting at....and a stock tank is not so heavy that all the worked involved would be worth it.
                        You would have to be much clearer on your plan for it to make sense to me.
                        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

change the frame to aluminum and put the gas in it
                          what's to get mojoe? go to bed
                          Live and Lean.
                          When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
                          "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
                          Romans 3:23

Comment

I'm thinking of a Buell for my next bike....get rid of the Kat NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

A guy I work with bought a Buell Firebolt for himself and a Buell Blast for his wife. After 500 miles on his Firebolt, something broke loose and destroyed a cylinder. They said it was oil starvation that caused it so they replaced the motor under waranty. It took them 3 weeks to get it back to him. 1500 miles later, it happened again. He now rides an SV1000S.
                              After 1200 miles his wifes Blast started having shuddering issues with the swingarm. She took it in 4 times before they finally admitted that something was wrong and fixed it. They never gave a straight answer on what the issue was. Two months later she traded it in on an SV650S.
                              I've been around several Buell owners and none of them that put more than 1000 miles on their bike is happy.
                              Thats all I needed to decide not to ever own one.
                              2005 Aprilia RST1000
                              2007 Dodge Nitro SLT
                              1998 Chevy Tahoe
                              www.midwestguntrader.com

Comment

Working...
                              X