X

Drag Strip HELP ASAP

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drag Strip HELP ASAP

I apologize before anything else...I do not have the time to search the 913 postings that match when I searched for info on ridin at strip. So i'm in the Virginia Tech Motorcycle club and we're all riding up to the track tomorrow and I need advice. Specifically on launching.
    I have never raced on the quater mile and I'm not the best at launching so any advice would be good. I've read that shifting at 10, 11, then 12 is pretty good for power wise (mind you i've had the bike for three years now so I do know a lil about it).
    Ok so my quesiton if for launching, Get her up to 7ish and then gradually but quickly let out the clutch? I don't want to bog her down after I've taken off tho. Any advice is greatly appreciated
    I know I should just go out and practice but where I'm at, there are waaayyyy to many cops and I haven't had the time to practice the launch.

Thanks

Re: Drag Strip HELP ASAP

Originally posted by atpgtr
    Get her up to 7ish and then gradually but quickly let out the clutch?
    That's what I've always heard . But rpm's very . Basically , rev at the "sweet spot" , and slip the clutch KEEPING the rpm's kinda high . THAT'S whay drag launches can be hard on a clutch .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I went out and it was an 1/8 track and my best time was 8 flat at 86mph and that was not with the best launch. I got 8.28 on my last run at 86 and accidently dumped the clutch real bad so I'm thinkin next friday I can defn get 7.5 if I get that launch down!!!

For the record it was one of the best experiences I've ever had. I love going to watch but nothing will ever compare to racing. I was going up against my buddy that has 1100 sportster, so that was fun hell too.

Comment

Actually kinda sucks that you didn't go through the search results cause I was just reading a topic last night where someone went IN DETAIL how to launch and every other thing you needed to know about the drag strip. I had searched for "race track"

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I went out and it was an 1/8 track and my best time was 8 flat at 86mph and that was not with the best launch. I got 8.28 on my last run at 86 and accidently dumped the clutch real bad so I'm thinkin next friday I can defn get 7.5 if I get that launch down!!!

For the record it was one of the best experiences I've ever had. I love going to watch but nothing will ever compare to racing. I was going up against my buddy that has 1100 sportster, so that was fun hell too.
          awesome!

KCCO!!!
          Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant? I was sitting there eating and thought...OMG I could be eating one of the slow learners!"

Comment

the important part is to get the bike rolling. the grip off the line is insane. - get up around 5-6k rpm - slid the clutch out until you start to roll then dump it and WO throttle.

you need an extended swingarm or a drag bar to just dump the clutch off the line.

tim

Comment

I was going up against my buddy that has 1100 sportster, so that was fun hell too.
              So, inquiring minds want, no, we NEED to know- who smoked whom? :P

Tell us about both bikes- sizes, mods, etc. I am particularly interested, as a co-worker thinks his Sportster 1200, which he plans on building up, will be faster than my stock (except for Yoshi can) Bandit 1200. I think he's wrong, based on the time I totally smoked a big flat slob on a WELL built big Harley, even after he got the total drop on me.
              "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

i ran a 13.1 in the 1/4 can you scan you time slip?

Comment

Originally posted by suzukisportrider2004
                  i ran a 13.1 in the 1/4 can you scan you time slip?
                  13.1 ! thats a damn good run.

i ran my superhawk & got into the upper 11's ( a best of 117.# mph )
                  i launched pretty soft and short shifted to 2nd ( still lofting the wheel ) but red lined at the gears after that.

first time at the drag strip so i'm sure i could improve the starts
                  i think my best RT was .068

tim

Comment

I have been thinking of going to the drag strip with the bike this winter. They actually have a HEATED drag strip up here that is open year round!! And with the rear sprocket i am installing, it will be pretty quick off the line.

I will have to see how things go. I have always loved drag racing in the car, but have never done it on the bike before. Could be lots of fun.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
                    who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

heated track with cold air would make so good times!

Comment

and my bike runs best when it's cool outside.

Greg

COURAGE -

Comment

Originally posted by Court93kat
                          and my bike runs best when it's cool outside.
                          so does everyone eles

Comment

I recently ran low 12's with a 12.12 @109 being my best. 12.20-30's being average. 06 Katana 750 completely stock. If I strapped the front, I know it would run 11's pretty easy. I was launching at 8500 slipping the clutch until about the 60ft mark. At that point, I brought the clutch in pretty quick. My 60ft's were in the 1.88-1.92 range. I will scan a slip shortly, or if I figure out how to upload a video, I could post that. The launch is everything. The Kat will ride out the rest without much fanfare. By the way, I weigh 230lbs also.

Comment

If I decide to do it, I will definately be taking it easy the first few times. The new rear rim I got came with a 50 tooth sprocket (currently running a 45) and I have swapped out my cams with GSXR 750 cams. She pulls best in the high rpms, but is no slouch in the lowers either.

Greg

COURAGE -

Comment

Working...
                              X