X

AirBox Removal Instructions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AirBox Removal Instructions

I am new to riding bikes period and I love my Kat. I am going on a 2,500 mile ride to Estes Park, CO starting tommorrow morning so I let the dealership change my oil today. Well, they found out that my airbox was not installed on the Kat correctly. They say this is causing my bike to run lean and it will eventually mess up my pistons. I have never changed my air filter before nor have I removed the fairing. Can anyone please post some simple instructions on removing and reseating the air box.

Thanks

Comment

Just a little advice....take your time and put the hardware into small bags and label them accordingly. Start from the belly pan and work upward. Once you have the fairings off, you can take the tank off too (although you can remove the tank without the fairings being off).

You should have prime access to the airbox then. It is my understanding that a typical OEM filer is good for about 10-11K before replacement. Note that I said replacement, not cleaning.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaKat
        It is my understanding that a typical OEM filer is good for about 10-11K before replacement. Note that I said replacement, not cleaning.
        According to Suzuki, it should be good for 18k miles, as long as it's blown out every 7500 or so... Depending on where you live (sandy, dusty, etc), you may get more or less than that. The design of the OEM filter is pretty robust and it will probably survive 30k with no performance issues unless it gets really clogged up or wet.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn
          http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13439&
          Good call .
          When you put the box back on , take out the filter , lossen the mounting clamps , stick you hand inside the airbox to make SURE the boots seat all the way , then tighten . Once all 4 clamps are tight , stick the filter back in .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

i just did figure that method out md after i gave the ole pods the heave ho and used the stock air box again, probably easiest and fastest and best way to ensure not having to do it over and over again.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Working...
            X