No announcement yet.
X

HELP !!! WILL BIKE START IF............

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP !!! WILL BIKE START IF............

HI
    RECENTLY THE FRONT END OF THE BIKE WENT ON FIRE. SO I HAVE TO REPLACE THE SPEEDO GAUGE AND HEADLIGHT. I NEED TO KNOW IF THE BIKE WILL START IF THOSE TWO ARE NOT CONECTED. I NEED TO TAKE IT TO A FRIENDS GARAGE....SO BEFORE I HAVE IT TOWED, OR TURN IT ON AND BLOW SOMETHING OUT .....
    THANX ALOT GUYS !
    ~LUKE
    (((((((RIDE HARD OR GO HOME)))))))

Luke i would double check all wiring and make sure none are crossed but i really wouldn't try and start it with all of that disconnected. What year is the bike ?? You have to have alot of the wiring harness hooked up before it will start. I know from having mine apart fixing burnt up wiring. ~Heath

Comment

It wil run without the headlight or speedo, but all the wires for the handlebars run through there and are quite possibly toast from the fire; the bike will not run if those are disconnected. If any of the wires are burnt, they might short and start another fire, so check every inch of them before powering up!

/kiba
      find / -name "*your base*" -exec chown us:us {} \;

You must realize that someday you will die-until you know that, you are useless

If you can't make it fit with a sledge hammer, don't force it!

Comment

+1
        '98 GSX750F

Comment

I will run fine just tie up the wire so they don't damgle

Comment

THANK YOU

I GR8TLY APPRECIATE ALL YOUR HELP GUYS. I CHECKED THE WIRING , AND THANK GOD IT WAS JUST THE WIRE THAT CONNECTSHEADLIGHT THAT WAS BURNED, AND THAT PIECE GETS DISCONNECTED FROM THE MAIN HARNESS....IT COSTS 36 BUX FROM BIKE BANDIT. THE REST OF THE WIRES , SEEM OK, BUT THE SPEEDO IS DAMAGED , SO THATS Y I DICONECTED IT. ITS A 2001 KAT 750 . SO I GUESS I WILL HAVE TO RECHARGE THE BATTERY AND GIVE IT A SHOT ??? HOPE I DONT BLOW N E THING... N E MORE INSIGHT WOULD BE APPRECIEATED.

TY 1CE AGAIN!!!

~LUKE
            (((((((RIDE HARD OR GO HOME)))))))

Comment

OK, More Insight:

You were running bulbs that drew too high a wattage for the wiring. I've warned everyone about this numerous times, as well as having it listed at my Understanding Motorcycle Lighting Upgrade Options page. My best guess is that you also substituted a larger-than-stock fuse for the bulbs.

By doing all this, you caused the wires to the bulbs to act as the fuse for that part of the electrical system -- and the wires got hot, the insulation caught fire (or something else the wires were up against) and fried it all.

Solutions:
              (A) Go back to stock-rated bulbs, specifically bulbs that draw 55/60 watts. There are bulbs that put out more light by playing tricks with the gas-chemistry in the bulb (Sylvania Superwhites come to mind, as well as some of the Hella offerings) while still drawing the right amount of power. OR
              (B) Install upgraded wiring (heavier gauge wire), relays to trigger the lights in both positions, upgraded bulb retainers (they often melt otherwise), and whatever bulb your set-up is then rated for.

Go see that web page for a lot more info (at least read the "What you need to know" section).

Good Luck!
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
              X