• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great post.
    AMA member # 224227

Comment

Excellent tips...ty.

Comment

Good write-up. Thanks for that. Always good to have a refresher and some things to think about.

I'd add to it that when splitting lanes, puh-LEEZE don't be one of the asshats/squiddies that likes to rip through stop-go traffic at 50 or 60 or 70 mph. That's an invitation to the coroner's office if/when one of the cage drivers does a "warp speed" lane change to get into that oh-so-necessary gap in the lane next to him/her. There's a smart way to split traffic and a stupid way. Part of the stupid way is to do what I just described. The smarter way is to go only 10-15 mph faster than the "ambient" traffic speed. Basically just keep the bike rolling. If you're in fourth or higher gear, you probably don't need to be splitting.

Another thing I'd advise is be VERY aware of what's ahead of you. Road debris tends to pile up on the dashed white lanes between where the cars typically go. If you're riding there, it's very easy to come up on some debris and have nowhere to go - car on either side of you. Bad situation. Keep the scan going, keep cool, look far ahead and watch what the drivers you're coming up on are doing/looking at. If you see a car start to drift towards the other lane, expect them to switch lanes. Basically, be aware of everything ahead of you. This is a situation where I'd say it's okay to maybe sacrifice a little of the rearview mirror scan in favor of more time/attention ahead and to the sides of you. Once you're back in free-flowing traffic you can resume "normal" scanning including the mirrors.

Just my $0.02 from a guy that splits traffic regularly and has seen more than one crash first-hand involving idjuts that did it wrong.

Keep the shiny side up out there guys!
        ---Jeff (Long Beach Represent!)

'99 Katana 750 (Metallic Space Blue / Matte Silky Gray Metallic)
        Plus some cars.

"Never Break More than You Fix..."

Comment

Good info guys. Especially to newbies like me. Thanks!
          "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
          JOHN 16:33

Comment

tips

8) good tips for us new guys....speaking as a COP please do not wheelie in the middle of 5 oclock traffic................................
            "It is not how these officers died that made them heroes.... It's how they lived"

Comment

Thanks for the tips from a noob.
              "I'm not crazy because I take the right pills."

Comment

I will come back to this stick in a couple of months
                06 KAT 600

Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Ignorant and Dangerous

Comment

good read. oh and remember just because someone is looking directly at you, doesnt mean that they saw you. i had a guy in a lexus at the base of a T intersection look left then right then at me coming from his right and then left again and went right as i was supposed to be in that lane. the advice about being thin and having more than one way out is really something to keep with you when riding. saved my ass
                  '93 naked kat 600 (wrecked and sold)
                  '82 v45 magna 750 (sold)
                  '80 xj650 maxim
                  "evil" '96 saturn sl2
                  '90 toyota pickup (killed by farm implement)
                  '94 toyota pickup 265000 miles and counting

http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33006 my bike as it was

Comment

great post, definately worth reviewing from time to time to get a refresh

Comment

good stuff man.... im kind of a newbie rider.... good things to remember

Comment

New to Riding

Just wanted to say thank you so much for this site. It really helps me be the rider I need to be (safe & smart) I have always wanted a bike and i finaily got one and I love it, but still have a small fear of going down but with this site my daily rides get longer and longer.

thanks a bunch

by the way I am a former Penn State Football player.

Comment

Thanks for starting this thread!! I'm a new rider and found this info to be very useful.

Comment

Thanks for posting that helpful info.. I'm still new to the scene and always will be b/c theres always more to learn and do.... There is no such thing as an overly defensive driver when you are on a bike...KEEP YOUR HEADS UP
                            2005 Katana 750 Traded 04/08
                            2008 Concours 14
                            www.myspace.com/nc_kat750

Comment

I don't totally agree with the 'cover your break' theory. That could be more dangerous than helpful. Last thing a new rider wants to do is to barely grip the break in a moment of panic and crush their other fingers.

Comment

Thanks ALOT... you're helpin out a newbie!!

Comment

Working...
                                X