X

New shocks for 90s Katanas_2018!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New shocks for 90s Katanas_2018!!!

Contacted a suspension outfit and asked about new shocks for my 1990, 750.
    Here's what the man wrote back:

Hi Bill,
    Thanks for your email. We have multiple shock options for your 750.

Since it’s a track bike, I will start with the Wilbers 641 reservoir shock which gives you rebound adjust plus high/low speed compression adjust and threaded preload which is normally desired for track bikes. This shock sells for $839.00. They are setup for your weight, they are fully rebuildable and have a five year warranty. They are built to order in Germany, the quality and performance is excellent.

If that is not in the budget, they also sell a model 640 non reservoir shock with rebound damping adjust only at $599.00.

YSS which are made in Thailand but were designed by the same guy who designed the Wilbers shocks in Holland. YSS offers their version of the Wilbers 640 at $469.00 with rebound and threaded preload. YSS are also fully rebuildable and have a two year warranty.

Let me know if you have any questions, I’m happy to help.

Best regards,

Ted Porter
    Ph: 831-438-1100 X 113
    Fax: 831-438-1104

BeemerShop, Inc.
    5100 Scotts Valley Drive, Unit #100
    Scotts Valley, CA 95066

Bringing HEX Code products to the U.S.A. since 2007. First in Product Knowledge. First in Tech Support. No one knows the GS-911 better. Call or visit today!

Number one Wilbers importer in North America. Highest quality repairs & rebuild services available. Unmatched product knowledge & after-sale support.

cid:[email protected] FIND US ON FACEBOOK

Must be some darn good shocks

Comment

I’ve run in to road block after road block trying to get new bits for my ‘91 kat 1100.
      I was thinking of replacing springs front and rear and sending out rear for a rebuild.
      I emailed sonic springs - they never responded
      I emailed racetech- they said they don’t have a spring for the shock
      I emailed NorWest ( where t mod works) - never got a response .
      EPM in n America has Hyperpro fork springs , rear are no longer available .
      Then I started thinking ...what’s the point of rebuilding the rear shock and giving it new spring if the valving is bad?
      No one in N America has a shock spec’s for the 1100. In Australia , suspension store sells hyper pro fork springs / Hyperpro rear shock for $1049, that is around $723 in dollars.
      Now we are talking!
      I found YSS brand fork springs / rear shock in UK for $493 dollars, delivered .If you want just the shock, it’s $387 delivered. I’m going on the assumption/hope that shock will work well with the forksprings. Local shop charges $125 to rebuild shock, plus parts as needed. Assuming it cost $150, plus another $150 for rear spring , stock rebuild with new spring would cost over $300, id rather just have a brand new unit for $100 more.
      As time marches on, I’d expect suspension options to continue to dwindle.
      I guess this is last call for a new suspension ?
      Last edited by DClark; 11-18-2018, 04:42 PM.

Comment

There's something definitely wrong with your emails, Sonic Spring would always answer. I got them in my Kat 750 track bike and my Suzuki GS1100G road bike.

FYI: Somebody posted on FB, Northwest Suspension will rebuild post 98 shocks.
        NorWest Suspension, Ohlins, Nitron, K-Tech, Supersprox, Race Tech, Penske, JRi, Hagon, Fox, Works Performance, ZBROZ, Elka, Spectro, Pit bull, Pit Posse, MX-Tech, SKF Seals
        Last edited by buffalobill; 11-18-2018, 06:53 PM.

Comment

There’s nothing wrong with my emails , but there is something wrong with sonic.
          I filled out there info form and hit submit. Whether they choose to read or ignore it, that’s their call.
          Don’t try to call them, there isn’t a phone number to be found anywhere on their website. I don’t think they even give a hint to where they are even located. If they don’t want my coin, that’s their business but I’m not going to fill out multiple inquieries, F that.
          Racetech did respond the next day. Haven’t heard back yet from NorWest but no matter, I gave them thur and fri last week to respond- they didn’t .I moved on, life goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by DClark View Post
            There’s nothing wrong with my emails , but there is something wrong with sonic.
            I filled out there info form and hit submit. Whether they choose to read or ignore it, that’s their call.
            Don’t try to call them, there isn’t a phone number to be found anywhere on their website. I don’t think they even give a hint to where they are even located. If they don’t want my coin, that’s their business but I’m not going to fill out multiple inquieries, F that.
            Racetech did respond the next day. Haven’t heard back yet from NorWest but no matter, I gave them thur and fri last week to respond- they didn’t .I moved on, life goes on.
            Here's the personal email for the owner of Sonic Springs:
            [email protected]
            But, maybe he's outta town on vacation?

Comment

I don't know about customer service, but Sonic Springs hold up with age...Been running mine since 2010-2011 at 3000 miles a year...still happy !
              My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Not sure if you're the same guy that was posting on FB the other day about this or not, but the factory shocks can be revalved and rebuilt to perform just as well.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

It was me but the way I though it was that a full rebuild with different valving and new spring would cost a little more than a brand new YSS shock. Doesn’t hurt that shock comes with matching yss fork springs.

Comment

Originally posted by DClark View Post
                    It was me but the way I though it was that a full rebuild with different valving and new spring would cost a little more than a brand new YSS shock. Doesn’t hurt that shock comes with matching yss fork springs.
                    Last time I got a quote on a rebuild on a rear shock, it was along the lines of...

$125 labor per hour, min 1 hour... was told would not take more than 1 hour to rebuild a shock.

$80-100 spring.

Valving was minimal parts, less than $10, mainly just part of the work to adjust the shims and such.

Total estimated cost was under $250 + shipp.

Found multiple ebay post 750 shocks for 30-40 shipped at that time, probably still could just haven't checked this week.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

The only katana 1100 aftermarket spring available ( and I have cast a wide net) is the Hyperpro, cost around $154 delivered from U.K. ( U.S. distributer doesn’t have them).
                      Throw in cost of revalving and that rear shock rebuild with new spring will cost over $300. I’m paying about $300 for a new shock unit as it is.

Comment

Working...
                      X