X

new bike today, needs some TLC and advice

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new bike today, needs some TLC and advice

the bike supposedly sat for 8 months but had fuel stabilizer in it. starts and idles fairly easy, but dies when given throttle. smells rich. here's what ive done so far today:

1) drained fuel, added new fuel with carb cleaner in it. this seemed to help a bit

2) checked air filter - good

3) changed oil and filter, changed fuel filter

4) i adjusted the choke because it would not stay idling without the choke on... i notice that there was ALOT of play in the choke cable, so i adjusted that so that it would stay idle when warm at 1100 rpm with the choke off.

5) the idle adjust screw doesn't appear to be making any difference when i adjust it. i can see the cable spinning, but notice no difference in the rpm when i turn it either way

as ive said, it starts pretty easy, and stays idling until i try to give it throttle. during idle, it fluctuates a little bit ("pulsing" a bit).

is the choke cable supposed to be very loose and swivel around near the left clip on as mine does? I'm talking about that C shaped metal piece that connects the choke cable into the left clip on control box.

i know this is a lot of info, and i appreciate your advice. i really think that with just a little bit of TLC, this bike will end up being a really great find... just need some advice to get it there.

thanks
    previous rides
    06 kat 600, 04 Triumph ST Streetfighter, 07 Vstar 1100, 03 GSXR 750, 03 Hayabusa, 07 SV 1000 , 02 Bandit 1200s, Current ride - 07 Roadliner 1900,
    next ride - another kat

Congrats on getting your ride.

Comment

thanks! ill post pictures after i get it back together, but here are the basics:

2003 600 (the blue and black one) 14k miles. D&D pipe, custom seat foam and upholstery, white instrument faces, $2,000.

needs a little lipstick and rouge, but i'll be able to really spiff it up as soon as i can make it reliable to ride. i feel like it's close...
      previous rides
      06 kat 600, 04 Triumph ST Streetfighter, 07 Vstar 1100, 03 GSXR 750, 03 Hayabusa, 07 SV 1000 , 02 Bandit 1200s, Current ride - 07 Roadliner 1900,
      next ride - another kat

Comment

Congrats on finally getting one.

Check for vacuum leaks and you definitely need to clean the carbs.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
          Congrats on finally getting one.

Check for vacuum leaks and you definitely need to clean the carbs.

thanks. when i took off the tank and airbox, i noticed that one of the boots on the airbox looked smashed, as if it had not been seated properly around the carb. its kind of a hard one to get to, right in the middle. I think tomorrow ill take it all apart again and make sure the airbox and carbs are joined tight on all 4.

it'd be great if it was that simple to fix!
          Last edited by edromero; 01-19-2013, 06:54 PM.
          previous rides
          next ride - another kat

Comment

With the bike idling, move an unlit propane torch around, if the idle changes you've found your leak.
            Try running through a tank of fresh fuel mixed with a 1/3 can of seaform.
            It may help save a full cleaning of the carbs, if it doesn't help, "Carbs 102" will.
            Blackdog
            DRz-400e plated
            Blue 05 750 (sold, sob)

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog View Post
              With the bike idling, move an unlit propane torch around, if the idle changes you've found your leak.
              Try running through a tank of fresh fuel mixed with a 1/3 can of seaform.
              It may help save a full cleaning of the carbs, if it doesn't help, "Carbs 102" will.

ive heard about that seaform before. i think ill givbe that a try thanks
              previous rides
              next ride - another kat

Comment

I don't remember the choke cable having any adjustabilitiy.

It's possible that someone backed the idle adjust screw all the way out, and that it's just flopping around.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                  I don't remember the choke cable having any adjustabilitiy.

It's possible that someone backed the idle adjust screw all the way out, and that it's just flopping around.

here is a picture of what my choke cable has. it wouldn't surprise me to learn that its not stock... because it looks like the clutch cable was also replaced.

this bike has 14k miles, but it looks like its had much more! i intend to refresh it like new

also, you were right about the idle adjust... it was all the way down to the point where it wasnt even touching the rod on the carbs that its supposed to lift up on. but, even though its touching now, it still is not affecting the RPM. im convinced its just carb problems now
                  Attached Files
                  previous rides
                  next ride - another kat

Comment

Working...
                  X