No announcement yet.
X

How long can the bike sit unused?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bwahaha!! As a geek with a K&N filter fitted to a post Kat I can confirm that it does indeed effect running and performance from idle to WOT. (Actually - it kinda screws it all up!) It took a lot of geekiness and OCD to eventually get it right.

Comment

You asked two permutations of the same question.

You have to define both what "a while" and "breaks up at high speed" means.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        Do you know what CV stands for? As in "the Katana stock has CV carbs." No race bike or race car I've ever heard of uses CV carbs. They use slide carbs which do not depend on vacuum at all. You twist the throttle (or push the accelerator pedal) and the slide opens, period. CV carbs or "constant velocity" depend on vacuum the ENTIRE RPM range. In which case, I'm "pretty sure" you're wrong.
        All carbs work on vacuum through the entire rpm range... That is how the fuel is actually pulled through the jets and into the engine. The difference between CV carbs and fixed venturi carbs or mechanical slide carbs is that CV carbs use a vacuum operated slide to give smoother throttle control and range.
        BTW only dirt bikes really use slide carbs and drag bikes use fixed venturi (no slide just throttle plate). A lot of track, race bikes that actually use carbs run CV carbs.

Comment

And all you need to do is add a jet kit to make a K&N air filter work correctly right?

Comment

Engelskmannen.
            Carpe Jugulum...
            1994 GSX1100F

Please check out my re-build thread: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128660

Comment

And all you need to do is add a jet kit to make a K&N air filter work correctly right?
              Mock me if you want, but I do know what I'm talking about. Haven't spent all this time and effort in school for nothing. Ill be a certified bronze level Suzuki tech 4 weeks from tomorrow

Comment

MMI grad you say
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                  MMI grad you say
                  Alright well I maybe new on this forum, but I do know that we have pretty much hijacked this thread. If you have something to say about me feel free to PM me.
                  As far as the info I gave, that comes from Suzuki and I'll leave it at that

Comment

Hey duder, I AM Suzuki certified. Rebuilding carbs is what I do. But seriously, rock on with your bad self. BTW, Suzuki doesn't make those carbs, Mikuni does.
                    Last edited by arsenic; 01-17-2013, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Hey duder, I AM Suzuki certified. Rebuilding carbs is what I do. But seriously, rock on with your bad self.
                      Okay then explain to me what I wrote that was wrong?

And Mikuni makes the carbs to Suzuki spec and you should know Suzuki covers carbs in their factory training where it goes over this stuff
                      Last edited by canucme3; 01-17-2013, 08:18 PM.

Comment

pretty much everything here:
                        Originally posted by canucme3 View Post
                        Yes the carbs run on pressure differences, but they work using pressure differences between the air moving through the carb and atmospheric pressure. Putting a filter on wont change that. The issue more then likely is some one put on the aftermarket air filter and didn't jet for it and you are running way lean on the top end.
                        As for if how long can it sit before carbs should be cleaned all depends. Did you leave them full of gas? If they were definitely take them apart and clean them if its been sitting more then a couple weeks. If they were drained its still probably in your best interest to pull them apart quick and check them, but there is no real time period put on how long they can sit.
                        Gas tank depends on how long its sat and care of the PO. If you fill the tank completely it will keep the tank from rusting as long as every so often you drain out the water that will settle to the bottom and top off the tank. Basically just look in the tank and if you don't see rust you should be okay. Personally I would take any tank that sat for any period of time with or with out gas in it and clean it.
                        And here:
                        Originally posted by canucme3 View Post
                        All carbs work on vacuum through the entire rpm range... That is how the fuel is actually pulled through the jets and into the engine. The difference between CV carbs and fixed venturi carbs or mechanical slide carbs is that CV carbs use a vacuum operated slide to give smoother throttle control and range.
                        BTW only dirt bikes really use slide carbs and drag bikes use fixed venturi (no slide just throttle plate). A lot of track, race bikes that actually use carbs run CV carbs.
                        Last edited by arsenic; 01-17-2013, 08:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Lol thats really helpful... You seem to know a lot what specifically is wrong with that info?

Comment

90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                            Originally posted by soulless kaos
                            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Awwww that's cute, a new expert in town.
                              Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Just thought I'd post some feedback on got on eBay a few days ago:

But again, I have no idea what I'm talking about

Comment

Working...
                                X