X

Kat gas tank removal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kat gas tank removal

Need to remove gas tank to take carbs off tomorrow.
    Does the tank just unbolt at the back and pull backwards?
    Don't see any specific Kat details in manual, so hoping it's the same as the rest of suzis.

Thanks for any help.

yep, two bolts at the back of the tank... temp. support the tank with a 2x4 so you can reach in and remove the three hoses then lift and pull back slightly... not too hard.
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
    1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
    1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
    1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

correction: remove the three hoses from the petcock, the two drain lines from the bottom of the tank and disconnect the fuel sender wires that run from the bottom of the tank down the right side of the bike. (You should be able to pull them out the hole in the side of the fairing enough to disconnect them.) You don't HAVE to disconnect the drain lines but it's easier than trying to re-route them IMHO.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

We're talking a classic big Kat here 1982, no fuel gauges.

Comment

Sorry about that. I looked in your garage and there was nothing there. Didn't notice which section this was in.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

easy tank removal 82 1100 kat

You remove the two bolts that are exposed after you remove the side panels. Once they're off, and you've taken the fuel line off the fuel filter (it shouldn't drip due to fuel system being based on vacuum from the cylinders), just lift slightly from behind and slide bakcwards off the two mounting flanges in the front. Keep an eye out for the insulating rubbers on all attachment points. Easy!

Comment

Originally posted by freelancelot View Post
              You remove the two bolts that are exposed after you remove the side panels. Once they're off, and you've taken the fuel line off the fuel filter (it shouldn't drip due to fuel system being based on vacuum from the cylinders), just lift slightly from behind and slide bakcwards off the two mounting flanges in the front. Keep an eye out for the insulating rubbers on all attachment points. Easy!

Thanks, i figured it out long ago, was just tight on the front rubbers, a little grease on reinstall solved that problem nicely

Comment

Originally posted by johnod View Post
                Thanks, i figured it out long ago, was just tight on the front rubbers, a little grease on reinstall solved that problem nicely
                keep an eye on the grease you use. used some grease on the rubber cushion at the front of the tank on my 92 1100, and before summer was done my tank was rattling and sloppy loose. took off the tank and found the rubber went all funky cuz of the grease.
                I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

how do you remove the tank off an 05 kat..? do you have to drain all of the fuel?

Comment

I was talking about classic Kats here in the Vintage forum.
                    I really don't know the answer to your question.
                    I suspect the answer is no, but it would be lighter and easier to move without the gas, but the petcock should keep the gas in the tank.

Comment

Originally posted by kfreeman View Post
                      how do you remove the tank off an 05 kat..? do you have to drain all of the fuel?
                      Just keep the petcock in the ON position and you will be fine.
                      The petcock is vacuum driven and should not let out gas (in the on position) unless the engine is running (providing vacuum)
                      2002 GSXF 750

Comment

I Removed hose attached to right side of petcock and fuel started dumping...did I miss something ??
                        ('98 Kat 600)

Comment

Either its set to prime, or it needs a rebuild.
                          1998 Katana 750
                          1992 Katana 1100
                          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Working...
                          X