X

I wonder what I screwed up on

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wonder what I screwed up on

The bike is really hard to start, and when it is running it doesn't sound too good as the RPM gets higher. I adjusted the valves and carb sync, something is not right. I guess I get to do it all over again LOL I suspect the carb sync wasn't right as I did have a lot of trouble with it. I'm thinking the carbs need a rebuild too which doesn't help.
    2004 Honda ST1300
    1999 Katana 750 (sold)

pull the carbs apart, dip everything but the rubber in berrymans carbdip, replace gaskets and such with carb rebuild kits.

Comment

best to go here and read Carbs 101. http://katriders.com/wiki/index.php5?title=Carbs_101

This will get you going in the right direction to get it done. The main thing is don't be in a hurry, mistakes happen that way.
      http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
      http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
      '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
      "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
      "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Was it starting and running right before you did the maintenance?
        sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
        1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
        2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
        First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
        Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Check your valves again to make sure that's not the problem. If those are right then you need to clean the carbs. Syncing carbs should be pretty easy so long as you're using a real vacuum guage so if that didn't go smooth then it's usually because the idle circuit is dirty or you've got a vacuum leak. (You need Carbs 102, not Carbs 101 since you've got a 1999 model.)
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

The bike was running fine before messed with it. I found the cause the the small puff of smoke too, at the front, the valve cover gasket was leaking a little, so its allready been worth my while to dig into the bike again. Next step, double check all the valves. I'm going to put money on the carbs as the problem.
            2004 Honda ST1300
            1999 Katana 750 (sold)

Comment

All the valves were good, fixed the oil leak, checked the carb sync and is was good. The bike seemed to be running back to normal so I suspect 1 of 2 things. a plug wire wasn't quite on right causing higher rpm trouble and/or the bike was cold and cranky and would rather be sleeping. I left all the fairing off and will fire it up on my next days off to make sure it is good to go. I'm happy the carbs can wait until next winter, hopefully.
              2004 Honda ST1300
              1999 Katana 750 (sold)

Comment

Glad you got it resolved.
                sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Working...
                X