X

Avon Storm ST tires for the Kat 750

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avon Storm ST tires for the Kat 750

The old Dunlops were getting old and hard needing replacement. After looking at the available options and talking to a couple of riders that I know the Avons kept coming up. I did some research and these seem to always get good reviews so I ordered a set and had the mounted on the Kat.

Got this done a couple hundred miles before a trip into the Ozarks in Arkansas. These tires performed execellent. Grip when riding very spiritedly in the twisty stuff was outstanding and staightline riding was even and smooth. Grooved pavement caused less wobble due to the inverted tread pattern on the front (had heard this was true, but now proven) and were pretty sticky even on pavement that had be removed leaving those slick little diamond patterns.

On damp roads after light rain these provided outstanding grip and never slipped once even when riding pretty hard for the road conditions. In a downpour and rain for about 80-85 miles mostly on freeway these never even felt like they wanted to slip on corners or lane changes over the painted lines. After approx 2K miles on them you can't really see and wear.

Time and more mileage will tell me more but compared to the Dunlops after the same amount of mileage I expect these to last a lot longer.

Hope this helps to anyone considering a set of these.
    If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

i have a pair on my Kawi when it comes from the shop - hopefully soon. Glad to hear you've had a good experience so far and i look forward to seeing how they hold up for me. Thanks for the post.
    Godspeed
    CSBA #1167
    Renew your mind with God's Word and His Spirit today! Let others see you walking and living by faith! Let yesterday go! God Bless!

Comment

I ran them and liked them, but front wear was unusual, and in doing more reading, it seams that I am not the only one to have that problem. The rear has a very flat profile, so I found myself regularly going past the edge of the tread. Perhaps in a 160, that would be a little less noticable. Overall I liked the tires, but the funky wear has me a little set off from them.
      Pics
      Pics
      No pics yet
      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

low frt. pressure will do that

Comment

Originally posted by H-2 CHARLIE View Post
          low frt. pressure will do that
          Not the case for me or the other 20 people or so with the same problem. The wear was more in line with a broken belt or tread separation.
          Pics
          Pics
          No pics yet
          Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I've been running Storms for the last couple of years. They grip the road like crazy and they wear longer in the center of the tire, which is fundamental to the ZX-14 because it eats tires for breakfast. I'm sure it could only enhance the Kat too.
            =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

I ran my Storm's for over 6,000 miles and liked them very much. Replaced them with Azarro's since they were priced in a way I couldn't refuse.
              Yes the Storm's tend to wear a little choppy but higher pressures, at the rated limit on the sidewall, kept this to a minimum.
              The rear is a "flatter" profile, but these are "sport touring" tires and they are on a "sport touring" bike. If your running off the edge of the tire then you are on the wrong bike with the right tire for the bike.

Comment

i've run the storms on my kat also. they were grippy and still got 6200 miles out of them. i still have the front on and it's at 13,500 and still has tread. it is wearing funny, but most of my avons have wore more on the left side.

Comment

Been running mine at 40PSI front and rear. Tires call for 42PSI. I may pump them up to max to see if I get the strange wear pattern.
                  If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

Comment

i had nothing but great performance from mine as well. In fact its time for another set!
                    Joker
                    The newest addition to the Family!
                    sigpic
                    stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Working...
                    X