X

spark plugs..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spark plugs..

How easy would it be to replace spark plugs on a 99 kat myself? The local shop is going to charge me 110 bucks for parts and labor .. I have never done it before and i would like to tackle this task myself...
    "Oh I will tag you back !!"

Originally posted by Major Voltron View Post
    How easy would it be to replace spark plugs on a 99 kat myself? The local shop is going to charge me 110 bucks for parts and labor .. I have never done it before and i would like to tackle this task myself...
    Unbelievably easy. Takes maybe 15 minutes start to finish.
    Extra life.

Comment

Yes is ez... just becareful when taking off the fairings.

Comment

do i have to take the tank off ??

Comment

Originally posted by Major Voltron View Post
          do i have to take the tank off ??

yes, the tank must come off. there are a few bolts and a vacuum line and a fuel line. Not hard.

the plugs are on the top of the engine, there is a cross bean that needs to be removed also.

plugs are easy, just take your time and remember what you disconnected.
          2004 Honda ST1300
          1999 Katana 750 (sold)

Comment

Plugs, oil and filter are the absolute "never pay labour" jobs. And once you have done that, you'll discover a whole range of other jobs you will want to do yourself. Bottom line ... it will save you a motza ... and you'll actually do a better job.

Make sure you have the manual handy - and have read the appropriate section.
            Note where things came from and hence return to. (Take photos even)
            Take your time.

Comment

If you're a noob like me mark all piece that you'll take out, print the repair manual I've done this job and its nothing very difficult.
              And don't make the same mistake like I have done buy OEM spark plugs I have orders Iridium and after installed I saw that don't make any difference

Comment

I bought a 1997 Katana that didn't run.

Apparently whoever replaced the plugs ran the wiring harness under the brace that goes above the plugs. This held the wires against the head until they eventually melted.

Soldered in six new wires and she ran great.

so....run the wiring harness over the cross brace as you found it.......other things to be careful of, don't overtighten/crossthread, don't mix up wires, before removing plugs clear debris from spark plug space(if a nut or other hard object drops into cylinder through spark plug hole, you have big problems)

1997 Katana 600
                Sold
                2006 Katana 600 Salvage

Comment

I use a shop vac to clear out anything in the spark plug recesses before removing the plugs. Put a little anti-seize compound (available in little squeeze packs at the counter in Autozone) on the plug threads and use a chunk of fuel hose to hold the new plugs while you start the threads by hand.
                  Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                    I use a shop vac to clear out anything in the spark plug recesses before removing the plugs. Put a little anti-seize compound (available in little squeeze packs at the counter in Autozone) on the plug threads.
                    +1

For me, when threading the new plugs, I just put vinyl gloves on.
                    Extra life.

Comment

Biiiiig +1 to the anti seize, i almost snapped one off when i changed my factory plugs.
                      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I'm not mechanically inclined by any means and I replaced mine last weekend in about 20 minutes. Just do one at a time so you don't get the coils mixed-up

*Do Not Overtighten The Plugs When You Put Them In
                        Sex Panther cologne -- 60% of the time, it works every time

Comment

If your coils/wires are still OEM, there's no way to mess them up.. they're marked.
                          Disclaimer: If what I say seems condescending to you, it's probably not. I don't know (or care) if someone already knows something I'm saying, because for every person that does know, 100 lurkers may not. No offense is intended, but feel free to take it.

2001 Katana 750 'fighter build in progress

Comment

Originally posted by rockat View Post
                            +1

For me, when threading the new plugs, I just put vinyl gloves on.
                            You must have fingers like ET. Where do you find gloves with 12" fingers?

Comment

can the gas tank just be lifted to do the plugs? after i take the bolts out?

Comment

Working...
                              X