Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

proper oil change and draining question...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• proper oil change and draining question...

I have been reading about oils and which to use. Yes, i know, i'm not going to start a big over-beaten debate on which oil is best, but i read that on kats, that you should drain the oil coolers as well to get all of the oil out. If you only change the oil by draining the pan and change the filter, it only gets 65% of the oil out. My issue is that i had a carb loading up with fuel, because of dirt in the needle seat and such, and i am unsure if gas got in the oil, i detect a faint smell of gas in it but I want to change the oil and not risk any damage to my engine. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

That I know I change my oil and filter. With out touching the oil cooler. And mine is a 1998 Idk about yours look to the service manual you will have the right answer

Comment

If you really want to get all the oil out without the hassle of draining the oil cooler, just do a standard oil change with the cheapest motorcycle oil you can find. Ride it around for about 100 miles, and do another oil change using a new filter and whatever oil you want. A jug of standard rotella is about 12 bucks at Walmart...the synthetic T6 is a little over 20. The basic stuff would be great for the short oil change.

In any case, once you do the oil change, as long as the carb problem is fixed, you don't really have to worry about the leftover gas in the oil.
      Last edited by indianboy7; 10-07-2012, 05:52 PM.

Comment

motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Working...
        X