X

2 Weeks After First Laying Down My Katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Weeks After First Laying Down My Katana

Hello. I don't get on forums too often, but after my second year of riding a motorcycle, I laid my bike down for the first time. I don't really consider what happened a wreck because it wasn't too bad, but it did hurt.

Here's what happened. I have always had some intermittent trouble with the charging system on the bike. I went home for lunch last Thursday and I wanted to ride it back, but the gauges weren't working all the time, so I knew the charging system wasn't working. I drove my truck back to work, and it was a rough day because I work in IT and the phones in our Charlotte office weren't working. I tried most of the day to fix it. Long, technical story. It was the same day the Giants killed the Panthers. I'm an Eagles fan, so that wasn't good news. lol

When I got home from work, I took it for a spin. I didn't have to jump start it, so I was hoping maybe it was just a loose connection on the gauges. No such luck though. I was reving it it up a little to give it a chance to get back home, and I got my speed up a little too high. I went into a 20mph right turn that wasn't quite 90 degrees. I went left of center, and I got back to the right as quick as I could. No cars were coming. I did it a little too quick, and the edge of the road was coming up. It was a country road, so the pavement had a little drop off, followed by a little dirt, then grass that went down into a ditch. To top it off, the ground was just a little wet due to a small shower earlier.

My main concern was that I did not want to hit the pavement. I had a polo shirt, jeans, and my helmet. I am glad I wore it because after I got my license, I started to slack off a little. I didn't want to cut back to the left and just barely go off the road, which I think would have caused me to lay it down in the road. I went into the dirt, then quickly to the grass and got sucked right into the ditch. My pants and shirt were a little bloody and had a few holes after the accident, but thankfully my head was fine.

I don't know if I did the right thing, but I feel pretty fortunate. My 2004 Katana 600 was a little dirty, and had a few scratches, but nothing was broken. I got a ride back home, brought my truck to jump it, ride the bike back, and walked the 3 miles back to get my truck. I was pretty lucky.

Also, I have to say thanks the guy that gave me a ride home. His name was Matt, and he said he used to ride before he had an accident about 10 years ago. So, if you know a guy like that who lives just east of Columbus, Ohio, tell him thanks again.

Glad you are OK!

Comment

LIVE and learn. Glad that's the extent of the damage
      Extra life.

Comment

And here once again we have another example of why, even for a short spin, you need to wear gear. A good versatile armored jacket will keep you comfortable at any temperature while keeping you safe all the time. As you just learned, when riding you never know when you're going to be put in a situation where your whole life could change in 10 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by expvet View Post
          As you just learned, when riding you never know when you're going to be put in a situation where your whole life could change in 10 seconds.
          How about 0.5 seconds.
          Extra life.

Comment

Glad you were not seriously hurt.

Now's a good time to realize you didn't have to hit the ditch, and to work out how you can prevent that from happing again.

KRey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks. I'm definitely a little wiser.

I have a nice Vega jacket that has pads and vents. When it was near 100 degrees, I didn't wear it as much, and I wasn't wearing it when i put it in the ditch.
              I'm a little curious how the jacket would have held up. Not enough to try it again though.

Comment

Originally posted by franklin View Post
                I'm a little curious how the jacket would have held up. Not enough to try it again though.
                I guarantee it would hold up better than a polo shirt and skin.
                Always count on hitting pavement twice. First time from inexperience, the second from thinking you are experienced!

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me! "

Comment

Thats why the Kat is an awesome bike...the damn things built like a tank!

I have laid mine down like 4 times at low speed in 4 yrs and the damn thing still runs like a champ!!!
                  sigpic

Comment

+1 on the gear. I put mine on to go get gas a block away. It takes longer to put it on than to get there. You just never know.....Glad your ok and hopefully you will think twice before leaving your gear behind.
                    Last edited by jmd32477; 10-07-2012, 04:51 PM.

Comment

I can tell you that if I wasn't wearing gear when I got rear ended, I wouldn't be typing this right now..... thing is, you never know when it will happen. Once it does, it could be too late. My jacket is completely trashed as well as the helmet.. My gloves made it out fairly well...just a few scratches.. that would have been knuckles.

It doesn't matter how hot it is....it isn't worth not wearing gear....
                      ride safe and keep the shinny side up.
                      Horn broken--watch for finger....

Comment

Working...
                      X